Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sensor for temperature monitor with pic controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

venkates2218

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hai friends,
I'm working in an temperature monitor project.In that project I need to monitor the temperature of the room with PIC16F886 controller.I searched and found lot of temperature sensors.In most case everybody suggestion to use LM35 to measure the temperature.
I need clear answer for which sensor can use to measure the temperature.
Please suggest me for an perfect sensor to calculate the temperature.

You need to think and find out what are the criteria for a "perfect" sensor in your application.

I would generally consider a digital sensor, e.g. LM75.

Hi,

I need clear answer for which sensor can use to measure the temperature.
Clear answer: Every temperature sensor can measure temperature.
Each will have it´s benefits and it´s drawbacks. Otherwise it won´t make sense to manufacture that much different types.

Please suggest me for an perfect sensor to calculate the temperature.
There is no perfect. There ieven is no "best" or "good" as long as you don´t sa in which regard. --> give your specifications.

To speed it up:
You may input your specifications at a distributor´s interactive selection guide. (Then we don´t need to do this for you)

Klaus

I need to monitor the temperature of the room...

First law of thermodynamics defines temp in a qualitative sense; heat energy flows from higher temp to lower one.

Second law of thermodynamics defines temp scale with a zero; the units are still arbitrary.

Third law of thermodynamics defines temp and energy in terms of perfect crystalline solids.

How to measure temp? Most common thermometers need to have two fixed points (say 0C and 100C)

This is the common case with thermocouple and resistance thermometers (and the good old mercury thermometer too)

There are bandgap ref thermometers that are single point and they are (theoretically speaking) robust.

Measuring the temp of a room is an ill-defined concept because various parts of the room will have different temp.

You can however measure the temp of the room at a given point.

Any of the common sensors available commercially will do that...

All that aside, the SIMPLEST sensor to use is the Microchip MCP9701 because it is already calibrated to produce 19.5mV/C which ties in nicely with the steps in the ADC. It also works from a single supply of 3.1V to 5.5V and all you have to do is subtract an offset from the output to calibrate it to 0C.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back