Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Creepage, clearance, and insulation types

Status
Not open for further replies.

lw1ecp

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! I already know the definitions for creepage, clearance, type I and type II products.
My doubt is: are creepage and clearance requirements applicable just to class II products?
Can you relax creepage and clearance strictness thanks to the earth cable in class I?
Thank you!

Just to close the subject, I am posting what I've found. Creepage applies to both type I (with earth cable) and type II (without). The difference is: for type I, minimum creepage is 4mm for the most common situations, and 4+4mm (double insulation) or 8mm (reinforced insulation) for type II. That's all!

Class II devices are throughout protected by double or reinforced insulation and don't involve a protective earth connection.

Class I devices may expose circuits that are not connected to protective earth and thus need double or reinforced insulation. Examples are e.g. given in IEC 1010, Annex D.

Reactions: lw1ecp

lw1ecp

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
FvM, you're right! My main interest was how to connect the "class" with the creepage value but I've just found that in ECMA-287. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back