Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] SNR calculation by PSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

stenzer

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I used a desktop oscilloscope to estimate the SNR of a sinusodial signal source. Therfore I took 800E3 samples, which I'm analyzing with MATLAB.

I used the periodogram function to determine the power spectrum and the power spectral density by (see attached image)

Code:
[pxx_pow,f_pow] = periodogram(Data,kaiser(length(Data_RAW),38),[],fs,'power')
[pxx,f] = periodogram(Data_RAW,kaiser(length(Data),38),[],fs,'psd')

fs is the sampling frequency.

PSD.PNG

I can use MATLAB's built in function to determine the SNR by

Code:
snr(Data,fs)
snr(pxx,fs,'psd')

which are both resulting in an SNR of about 42.5 dB.

I had a look on the SNR documentation, but for me its not clear how the SNR is calculated. I know how it is defined ( SNR_dB = 10 . log10(Signal_RMS²/Noise_RMS²) ).
The PSD's amplitude (lower subplot) is given in dB/Hz. So, what I have in mind is to intergrate the spectrum from 0 to 250 MHz (like I would do it for a given noise bandwith in V/sqrt(Hz)), neglecting the carrier frequency around 10 MHz.

So I identyfied the index (idxF) of the carrier frequency. The vector pxx consists of linear values so its unit should be Watt/Hz, and not dB/Hz (I hope that's correct). I integrated the spectrum (lower plot in the figure) by

Code:
NOISE_W = trapz([f(2:idxF-1);f(idxF+1:end)],[pxx(2:idxF-1);pxx(idxF+1:end)])

and neglected the DC component (start with index 2). The integral results in a power of NOISE_W = 2.8 Watt. The signal power SIGNAL_dB can be obtained from the upper plot in the figure, and is 4 dB which corresponds to 2.5 W (10^(4/10)).

As can be seen, I made something wrong because the noise power NOISE_W is larger than SIGNAL_W, leading to a negative SNR.

So please can someone explain me, how I can calculate the SNR by the use of the PSD. I know, I could use the MATLAB function, but I want to know how it works :???:.

BR

Hi, has no one an idea how the SNR is calculated?

BR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back