Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony BVP-3P user manual help

Status
Not open for further replies.

9a3daa

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I got incredible Sony BVP-3P Color Camera 3 Saticon tubes
in working condition with attached Beta VTR model BVV-1PS but I think Beta dont work? :-|
I put Betacam tape not Betamax but VTR dont respond, It wont rewind or anything.
I dont have batterypack, only power supply. Maybe battery need to be inside to work?
I dont know model of battery and I dont have viewfinder. Anyone know model of battery and viewfinder? I am also intrested in user and service manual.

Thanks for any help!!!

Can you confirm whether pressing buttons activates any function? Did you get a remote control with the machine? Which buttons do you press, on the machine or on the remote? Can you confirm that the remote transmits signals?

Does the machine make any whirring sounds when you plug in power?
Do lights illuminate?
Did you look for a fuse that might be blown?

Mechanical faults are also likely. A broken belt is a common fault. Or a loose belt. Or grease hardens and becomes stiff over the years.
To open the machine might be a tough job. To get a good look at mechanisms, and figure out how they operate...tough job.
Only if you are lucky is it easy to fix.

There is a chance it needs a battery pack in place, so it can operate. The power supply by itself might have an overly high voltage, or a faulty waveform. Batteries tend to stabilize and regulate the power source.

Yes. Lights illuminate, fuse are good, and I found Hour meter (1000 hours) maybe It needs head or electronics service every 1000hours?
As I can see when I push my finger on rail, mechanics return to the starting position, which is very likely that mechanics are good.
Belts are good, its not loose and it makes look ok.
Every function is working except VTR. When I insert the cassette mechanics not pull tape around the head.
When I press VTR button which is record/pause - nothing happens. Someone told me that VTR is not for metal tape.
Tape I tried to use is Sony BCT-5Ma Betacam SP Metal tape, and AMPEX 398 Betacam SP. That is all tape I got with that camera.

When I insert the cassette mechanics not pull tape around the head.

I only have experience working on VCR machines (VHS type). From what I can tell, the mechanism detects a cassette via an led and photodetector. It is located on a stalk between the two main rotating spindles. The cassette drops onto the platform. The photodetector assembly goes up into a hole in the cassette. The walls of the compartment reflect light from the led. The arms pull the tape around the transport, and around the rotating drum.

Since your mechanism does nothing, it must mean it doesn't detect a cassette.
Your unit may have the same kind of infrared detector. If you can see one, try dropping a small reflective cap over it, or aluminum foil shaped like a thimble.

With caution you may need to free up some parts of the mechanism. Make sure the cassette seats properly on the platform. Make sure the lid opens up and exposes the tape. You should avoid pushing metal parts since they may bend or break.

The tape reels must rotate freely so the arms can extract the tape. Normally the reels are locked in place. Then the machine inserts a pin into the cassette, unlocking the reels. You must make sure this happens, although it isn't easy to check. Try to see if the reels move a little as the cassette drops onto the platform.

So, I discover something that I will describe and hope that someone with more knowledge will know where is problem,
but still without schematic this is problem too.

Cyan arrow mark is small motor that start rotating by few milimeter, and then stop rotating...
I dont know what is that motor for.. (It is not head drum)
Next is Red arrow mark. Connector 114, when I disconect conector from PCB head drum is starting to rotate vhen I turn on VTR,
and If I connect conector back to PCB, head drum stop to rotate.
(maybe problem is something where that conector leads but I dont know where - short circuit?)

VTR still don't want to rewind tape. I hope I will discower problem.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

The machine has several motors in various locations:

* pull cassette into compartment & eject it
* arms draw tape around drum & retract it
* rotate drum
* forward tape reel drive
* rewind tape reel drive

A motor may start momentarily when you press a button, then stop because detectors sense an obstacle.
If you see a belt or pulley or gear not moving, then you may need to watch motor shafts closely, to make sure they really are spinning.

I read eprom from BVV-1 VTR, and I got this.
What is that file because I was hoping to find and change timer to zero.
I know it is not eeprom and this can be programed once and erase with UV,
but this eprom is suspicious to me. When I conected multimeter to chek voltages on eprom,
and when I conected to Vcc and GND motor that I mentioned earlier
with Cyan arrow started to working!!!
IMG_20180903_144409.jpgBVV1.JPG

When I conected multimeter to chek voltages on eprom,
and when I conected to Vcc and GND motor that I mentioned earlier
with Cyan arrow started to working!!!

Do you mean you have normal operation? Or did the motor stop when you detached the meter?

Once the motor is running, test various functions of the machine. Insert a tape. Press buttons. Look at readouts. Etc.

An easy diagnosis is to say that a bad contact developed at ground or the power supply. So the eprom could not work properly until you moved it, worked on it, scraped terminals, etc.

I don't know why, but yesterday I put betamax (I don't have betacam oxide tape) and try to start recording and rail take tape around drum and drum started to rotate and few second after stopped, motor didnt rotate tape and tape become loose, and I got SLACK error. What that can be?

Yes, the video shows the tape is pulled around the drum. However it loosens. Normally the transport pulls it continually. The tape comes off the feed reel. Then it should be pulled onto the take-up reel. However it sounds as though the take-up reel is failing to turn for some reason.

If you were able to turn the reel yourself, it might keep the tape taut around the drum. This problem could be hard to solve. Does the tape go fast forward? That is a way you can test whether the takeup reel pulls the tape.

VTR don't have fast forward only rewind and forward as recording, but problem repaired!
It was damaged belt that turn gear that turn take-up reel. I replaced belt.
Now is everything work mechanically, still I dont have player to see if VTR recording..
becouse I see someone turned few potentometers which were marked
I do not know if this is necessary for a good quality picture recorting, color, tracking or ... something.

It's positive news how you fixed a belt and got the machine working.
However it seems odd that Sony made a recorder that cannot also play back.

If you're lucky you can find one for sale on Ebay, etc.
Or, it might be possible to remove the videotape from one shell, and put it inside another shell. I've done that with VHS tapes.

I found that gear (dark blue arrow) that turn reel with tape around drum is very worn out, and looks like ordinary plastic, maybe it's hard plastic, teflon? because this is professional recorder..
IMG_20181025_160942.jpg
I suspect they did not have put on ordinary plastic although it looks like ordinary plastic (very worn out), but I found little screw (marked red arrow) and I push complete set of plastic gears against reel and got a tight coupling of gears (before the gears knew the jump few gear teeth and disrupted the way the tape and sometimes crumpled the tape)
It was nightmare to find and set up of beginning position of these gears!!!

Next picture is Fuse like hour-meter with mercury, and belts I changed .
IMG_20181025_165830.jpg
I cleaned head and drum with isopropyl alcohol and paper, it was dirty but not too much.
I try to playback on friends betacam BVW-35P and I got only audio with no video recorded on tape!?!?:???:
I will mark this thread as Solved but I still looking for user manual and service manual for both BVP-3 camera and BVV-1 VTR, and model of viewfinder.

I would be extremly grateful!

Yes, the gears need to start and end at a certain position so that a tape-handling cycle can execute properly, then be in position to cycle again.

Since you've come so far and since you can do this close work, try flipping the worn gear upside-down. The reason is to engage teeth that are still in good condition.
Or though unlikely, you may exchange it with a similar (newer-looking) gear elsewhere in the machine.

Or, you might fabricate a replacement gear by making a mold of the original. Sculpt the mold so teeth regain their like-new full shape. Then cast a new gear made of epoxy, or plastic, or steel epoxy, JB-Weld, etc.

There are commercial kits used to duplicate a key. You get a vial, hardening gel, and metal epoxy. Immerse key in gel, wait for it to harden. Slice gel into two halves and remove key. (Sculpt the gel so teeth are shaped full and complete.) Pour metal epoxy into the empty space.

- - - Updated - - -

I try to playback on friends betacam BVW-35P and I got only audio with no video recorded on tape!?

Did you test that a different tape plays okay on his machine? Press the correct source button? The correct output button? Then immediately try your tape?
I don't know about camcorders but working with VCR's and tv's I find that everything has to be right. Buttons, settings, menu options, channels, etc.
And of course cables. One bad internal wire halts everything. It's an obvious thing to look for.

Video heads are tiny. There may be 2 or more on the drum. Examine with a magnifying glass.
You're probably aware that a slight buildup of dirt blocks the signal. Head-cleaning kits are available. The preferred tool is chamois. It does not shed foam particles or cotton fibers.

Yes, friends Sony betacam BVW-35P work.. We played back few of his tapes.
But tape I recorded on my BVV-1 don't have picture but have record audio. Probably worn out video heads.
Interesting thing is that Sony recommended to replace uper drum with video heads after 1000 hours..
I found D-Sub DB-50 Connector pinout from Sony DNV-5 Betacam Recorder which is same like BVV-1 and BVV-5.
And I will try to get out components signals to Y,Pb,Pr video grabber. That is my plan to record on PC.
BVV.jpgcopy - Screenshot_2018-10-30-17-33-15.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back