Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

line impedance transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

senmeis

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

as far as I know a line impedance transformer is only valid for a frequency, but the attached one has a bandwidth from 2.5 to 10 GHz. Do I make a mistake?

Senmeis

Attachments

• impedance_transformation.jpg
    impedance_transformation.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 101

as far as I know a line impedance transformer is only valid for a frequency, but the attached one has a bandwidth from 2.5 to 10 GHz. Do I make a mistake?
Yes, that is an incorrect assumption.
The line impedance value is valid over the frequency range for which the transformer is designed (has a flat frequency response).

Actually a transformer doesn't have an intrinsic line impedance, it's just the impedance that the input and output are designed for (such as 50Ω or 300Ω).
The transformer open-circuit impedance at its operating frequency is normally much higher.

What about λ/4 transmission lines? Does it mean the line length equals to λ/4 and relates only to a single frequency?

Senmeis

But if the line length = λ1/4, it cannot equal to λ2/4. That’s why I think a transmission line corresponds only to a frequency.

Senmeis

A Ruthroff transmission line transformer doesn't utilize λ/4 or λ/2 stubs. The usual implementation uses a magnetic core to raise the common mode impedance which potentially shorts the signal to a sufficient high level.

In a coreless design, you need to analyze the impedances and electrical lengths of the coupled lines. There may be doubts if it's still a Ruthroff 1:4 unun.

Status
Not open for further replies.