Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Safety of specific LEDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

nonlocality

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

A bit of a silly question, i'm doing a test board for work to evaluate a chip we taped out, and for the lulz of it I want to throw on some power indicator LEDs. I've always been partial to the color purple and found these LEDs on digikey.

AA3528VRVFS/A

They are 66 mW, 250 milicandela indication LEDs, the fact they are in the category indicators makes me think they are probably safe to use...but i'm a bit nervous. I have some friends in photonics who have some real horror stories involving lasers they work with, can anybody comment on whether they think the given part is safe or not?

I contacted the manufacturer as well and am waiting for a response on that end.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

It is different to a laser, because with a laser there is a very narrow beam, even after many meters the laser point is very small. The whole laser energy is at this small spot.

But with a LED the beam is relatively wide, and with increasing distance the area of the beam increases with the square of the distance.
Thus the intensity for a given area inside the beam decreases with the square of the distance. ... = 1/(d^2)

Your LED may harm the eyes only when the LED is very close to your eyes and you continously stare into the beam.
Don't try this.

With a viewing angle if 120° your eyes need to be max 5mm (maybe less) away from the LED to get almost full energy of light.
With half a meter distance only 1/10,000 of this energy may hit the sensible area of your eyes.

(Because of the narrow beam a Laser may give still 100% of the light energy to your eyes, even at 10m distance)

I can't imagine that the LED can cause damage to your eyes at a distance if 0.5m.

Klaus

The color purple is almost the frequency of ultra-violet rays which cause sunburn and damage to the the lenses and retinas of your eyes.

I use 3528 SMT LED's for indicators as they are large and popular in car dashboards. I find Digikey has nothing special, aside from the expensive Cree parts.

Kingbright has specialty colours, and eBay/Ali is full of vendors selling "ice blue" "pink" "purple" LEDs.

The purple ones are actually UV, almost a blacklight, so I don't use them. They are hard on the eyes.
The "pink" ones actually look purple but have a little UV I think, because I see blue fringing. They use phosphor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back