Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

IR remote-control receiver design - getting it stable

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedog

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
The best (discrete) IR remote-control receiver I have ever used, a Hitachi design from an old JCTV-3100. Fantastic range over 50m and used in large halls, works with IR bouncing off many surfaces :thumbsup:

I duplicated the circuit on a PCB. Works but it is oscillating at around 58kHz, and does pick up AM radio. It has a fair bit of noise and is very sensitive- putting a grounded probe near Q2 can lessen the oscillations. Putting a finger inches anywhere near the front-end it picks up interference. A wire mesh covering the photo-diode stops the AM radio ingress. A metal shielded enclosure, like the original has helps but it is still baffling me with the 58kHz. The transformer is tuned to 38kHz.

Adding a 68pF cap across C-B on Q4 stabilizes (fixes) the circuit but also lowers sensitivity (at 38kHz). This is the best I could come up with.

Any ideas how to tame the bandwidth and stabilize the circuit? The PCB has a ground-pour on both sides and does not seem to be the problem, and power is clean, 9V battery gives same results.

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• JCTV3100 IR Remote receiver schematic.PNG
    JCTV3100 IR Remote receiver schematic.PNG
    82.4 KB · Views: 126

Hi,

Any ideas how to tame the bandwidth and stabilize the circuit? The PCB has a ground-pour on both sides and does not seem to be the problem
I don't agree.
A copper pour in my eyes isn't much better than single wires. Every cut reduces the HF stability of the GND plane.

Thus I recommend to show us your PCB layout.

Klaus

The original Hitachi design was split into two (single-sided) boards. "Photo Amp" with metal can shielding Q1-Q3 and then a connector & shielded cable to the second board with Q4-Q7. I measure about 120pF capacitance on that cable, it would be from C8 to GND.

I put it all on one new PCB:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Original Hitachi build:
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:

Hi,

Your pictures show many different designs.
I can't find out which one is your current design.

Klaus

Sorry, here are pictures of just what I built.

Assembled PCB IR Remote 2018 Build.jpg
Bottom Layer PCB JCTV3100 IR Remote receiver PCB bottom layer and silk.PNG
Top Layer PCB JCTV3100 IR Remote receiver PCB top layer and silk.PNG

Hi,

I wonder why all your transistors are not in the same orientation than the silk screen shows.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.