Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you create a unique signature from GDS polygon shapes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

majd229

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can you create a unique signature from a GDS polygon shapes?

Hello,

My company uses Calibre for layout manipulation.

I'm exploring an idea where we can convert a DRC violation markers database into a layout/GDS (done), then create a unique signature from that particular rule.

For example, run DRC, and it fails on one rule, ruleX.

We take ruleX violation markers and convert it to GDS polygons (done).

Then, I want to get a unique signature on that particular GDS/rule markers.

You would say md5sum, sure, but the problem is that if in one run, the violation was one big rectangle, but in another run in a differen calibre version or for a number of factors, the violation was split into 2 small rectangles that make that same big rectangle from the first run. Although the violation shape is the same, it is now made of 2 rectangles, which will alter the md5sum.

Is there a way in Calibre to get rid of that issue, for example a way to combine any small shapes touching each other into 1 big shape, and if there are 2 shapes overlapping exactly, then merge them into 1 shape?

Thanks,
Majd

Re: Can you create a unique signature from a GDS polygon shapes?

Every layout tool I have seen has a "merge selected" command
that will combine abutting or overlaping polygons and paths
on the same layer into single superset shapes.

You might like to copy error shapes to a working layer, merge,
delete the precursor shapes and change layer of the merged
back to error-layer, for ease of selecting cleanly just what
you want.

But I do not use Caliber.

Hello,

My company uses Calibre for layout manipulation.

I'm exploring an idea where we can convert a DRC violation markers database into a layout/GDS (done), then create a unique signature from that particular rule.

For example, run DRC, and it fails on one rule, ruleX.

We take ruleX violation markers and convert it to GDS polygons (done).

Then, I want to get a unique signature on that particular GDS/rule markers.

You would say md5sum, sure, but the problem is that if in one run, the violation was one big rectangle, but in another run in a differen calibre version or for a number of factors, the violation was split into 2 small rectangles that make that same big rectangle from the first run. Although the violation shape is the same, it is now made of 2 rectangles, which will alter the md5sum.

Is there a way in Calibre to get rid of that issue, for example a way to combine any small shapes touching each other into 1 big shape, and if there are 2 shapes overlapping exactly, then merge them into 1 shape?

Thanks,
Majd

I am almost sure Calibre is not able to do anything like what you want automatically. You can do XOR compare, which would flag that that 1 big shape is equivalent to the 2 overlapping ones, but it would not combine them automatically for you, it would only flag them.

- - - Updated - - -

Every layout tool I have seen has a "merge selected" command
that will combine abutting or overlaping polygons and paths
on the same layer into single superset shapes.

You might like to copy error shapes to a working layer, merge,
delete the precursor shapes and change layer of the merged
back to error-layer, for ease of selecting cleanly just what
you want.

But I do not use Caliber.

The merge functionality is there. But the problem is that the OP wants to automate the merge of 2 arbitrarily selected shapes. I am not sure that can be done.

I am almost sure Calibre is not able to do anything like what you want automatically. You can do XOR compare, which would flag that that 1 big shape is equivalent to the 2 overlapping ones, but it would not combine them automatically for you, it would only flag them.

- - - Updated - - -

The merge functionality is there. But the problem is that the OP wants to automate the merge of 2 arbitrarily selected shapes. I am not sure that can be done.

Can you elaborate? I wasn't able to find anything about "merge" in the reference manual, not even remotely. Thanks

Can you elaborate? I wasn't able to find anything about "merge" in the reference manual, not even remotely. Thanks

I believe the command is layout and the option is merge.

I see. That actually merges multiple layouts.

Actually, I use layout filemerge to merge multiple rule GDS into 1, but i guess that doesnt merge the shapes.

- - - Updated - - -

You are right. I have 2 arbitrary shapes in 1 layout.
Any remedy to this issue?

DRC as I have observed it, always does a merge-all layer by
layer before performing any of the checks for spacing or extent.
I have often seen this use a "destination layer" so as not to
mung the original database.

Perhaps within the Caliber engine this is what goes on as well,
in which case maybe a Caliber script is your ticket (like, "run
DRC on the DRC and save it out").

Okay, lets say the shapes are the same and cells are the same 2 different gds. How can I get a unique signature for shapes+cells and ignore any text labes in the GDS? md5sum wont work for the GDS obviously since there is probably different binary data for the timestamp etc.

Okay, lets say the shapes are the same and cells are the same 2 different gds. How can I get a unique signature for shapes+cells and ignore any text labes in the GDS? md5sum wont work for the GDS obviously since there is probably different binary data for the timestamp etc.

I think you should consider building your own tool. There is freely available code for GDS parsing, so that part is done. You just have to script your intended functionality.

Mentor has implemented a utility called "checksum_util" that does exactly what you want.
It should be available in standard Mentor software installation path.

Their algorithm is described in this paper:

https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/document/7105901/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back