Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this stack overflow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vGoodtimes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Basically, what is the policy on discussions?

https://www.edaboard.com/showthread...sively-Parallel-Processing-Architecture/page3

This is a thread that fell apart when no one really had a good context on the points other parties were attempting to make. The mod action was justified.

But the closing post is one that I always find odd. "... that poses no technical question or answers ..."

The guidelines do mention questions. But it isn't clear what that means. Is "what is your advice for a new engineer?" a valid thread? Do questions need to be purely objective/technical?

What are the guidelines on starting discussions vs asking for specific help?

Non technical discussions are not prevented at all, note that the cited thread was allowed while in approval queue, in the hopeness that a productive debate would come out.

I believe it is clear that the above thread is a quite unusual case that should not be generalized; note that OP's first thread was moved to Business section, once he was promoting the mentioned website, referring to it as his 'business'. Another point to remark is that once one is announcing an innovation it is expected to have questions and answers in an objective format, and if this not happen and individual attacks arise instead, the best thing to do is to close the thread.

From time to time, threads are opened even with somewhat polemic subjects, but people have to keep the eyes on, but the problem of systematically allowing intrinsicly polemic debates in the thread section is that they are not infrequently controversial and the moods are exalted.

By the way, the current thread is about the forum policy quoted below and not properly about the thread cited above, and so I hope people avoid to discuss merit of the action taken in that case.

But the closing post is one that I always find odd. "... that poses no technical question or answers ..."

This forum is generally very on topic. Unless that type of thread becomes a common problem I think it could have been granted some leeway.

Hi,

We moderators closed this thread before, then we decided to re open the thread to give the participants a new chance for a technical discussion.
But the discussion again went the wrong - non technical - direction.

Closing the thread was clearly not because of the topic, it was closed by the way of the discussion.

Klaus

Thanks. that thread should be closed of course. I just recall having threads modified/closed and seeing threads closed because they were too subjective. To the point that I've gotten the impression that the forum really wants objective questions only.

Well, I should apologise for making that thread a mess for the moderators. I am sorry, but I can't go silent when I see absurd claims.

My very first post already called him out as a either a hobbyist or a salesman -- I have seen enough of them on my professional career to be able to recognise one when I see it. It was rather simple to google the guy and found out that he has posted the same type of rhetoric in other communities and got even more criticism than here. He is not a technical person and is therefore unable to start a technical discussion. I agree that the topic should be closed.

There is also another side to the story, the OP has been pestering me with escalating DMs... I think they already amount to a ban, but that is not for me to decide.

Status
Not open for further replies.