Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LM5176 or LM5145 CC/CV mode ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadeit

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need current source for Electroplating, it is
power source with adjustable current 0-25A for voltage 1-20V output power 0-250W. in other words PS max 250W with adjustable CC mode and adjustble CV mode too.

My idea is use any buck converter from 48V , I have 600W 48V PS
and I want to use it as a PS for two galvanization bath.

At Ti I found two controller
LM5176 55-V Wide VIN Synchronous 4-Switch Buck-Boost Controller
LM5145 6-V to 75-V Synchronous Buck DC-DC Controller With Wide Duty Cycle Range
LM5176 have integratet CC error amplifier. i interestingly, its output discharge soft start capacitor and over this drive source in CC mode.
I would never have thought of drive controller in CC mode over dischrging soft start capacitor.
If they understand it correctly. If CC detect over current dischrge soft start capacitor over 1k Ohm (gm of soft-start pull down amplifier 1mS).
My question.
Would this method be used with LM5145? Soft start capacitor over diode and resistor connect to external CC mode error amplifier, if CC mode not working is on CC amplifier positive voltage blocked on diode , and does not affect. If PS is over current is on output CC error amplifier voltage near 0V and this over resistor and diode discharge soft start capacitor.

Second question.
I do not use Boost mode of LM5176 and this controller need 4 output transistors.
Does using a full bridge (LM5176) and other benefits (versus half bridge LM5145?

i think you need parallel sync bucks, and the linear.com ones (controllers) are good because they have transconductance error amplifiers, and you can tie their outputs together so that they all react to the same error signal, and so they all reasonably share the current.
I will give you some material on this if you want?

Status
Not open for further replies.