Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Reading ade7758 registers for vrms, irms, active energy kwh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jit_singh_tara

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Reading ade7758 registers for vrms , irms ,active energy kwh ?

Hi friends ,

I am reading AVRMS register directly.The values are increasing as follows :

I am using Variac to increase/decrease AC voltage magnitude.
Low -----------> High Voltage AC .
32767 --->65535----->131071----->262143---->524287.....and so on till 2097151 in decimal.

It is actually doubling instead of incrementing .
Please suggest the steps required to correct the problem.....

Thhe starting value of AVRMS register is coming to be 32767.
I want to know what should be done to effectively and precisely ready Vrms voltage on Phase.

Re: Reading ade7758 registers for vrms , irms ,active energy kwh ?

Hi,

What can we do for you? ....with the given informations.

I hope you know that we can't see your circuit and the communication...

Klaus

Hi am able to. Establish communication spi. But I m a not sure how to read the AVRMS, BVRMS, CVRMS Registers.... And when to read them....

I tried to read them on power on, getting 32767 as default value On nearly 0V AC. And this value doubles on increasing voltage instead of incrementing......

I guess I am missing something crucial......

Hi,

Don't you think it's a good idea to show us your schematic, wiring, scope pictures of the communication, documented code, additional information..that enables us to help you.

Klaus

Hi Thx, I will. Be posting the scope pictures, code, schematic day after tomorrow on reaching workplace.

Well I would like to update that I was able to read the temp register . It was changing on applying hot air to IC.

I want to know what is the procedure to read vrms register values and match to real world values.....

Will. Upload details. Soon.

I am reading AVRMS register directly.The values are increasing as follows :

I am using Variac to increase/decrease AC voltage magnitude.
Low -----------> High Voltage AC .
32767 --->65535----->131071----->262143---->524287.....and so on till 2097151 in decimal.

Providing the result read from the intput voltage A register without mentioning what was injected into the corresponding input, is a meaningless information; One could say that your device is working correctly as long as you were doubling the voltage injected at input A aswell. Next time, provide a map of the voltage applied at phase A and the value read at this condition.

Providing the result read from the intput voltage A register without mentioning what was injected into the corresponding input, is a meaningless information; One could say that your device is working correctly as long as you were doubling the voltage injected at input A aswell. Next time, provide a map of the voltage applied at phase A and the value read at this condition.

HI Andre,
I will. Share the details of my setup and coding part, scope images tomorrow.

In the meantime plz clarify my doubt.
1. Does AVRMS, BVRMS, CVRMS Registers store the Rms value of the waveform or the instantaneous value of waveform according to adc output. How is the value of these registers to be interpreted.... And when should one read these registers, after setting some other registers like AVRMSOS, BVRMSOS, CVRMSOS.

At present level I need to read Rms voltages of 1 phase, other 2 will be similar.

Hi,

1. Does AVRMS, BVRMS, CVRMS Registers store the Rms value of the waveform or the instantaneous value of waveform according to adc output.
Can there be a doubt?
The naming "AVRMS" is very clear and the datasheet explains it more detailed.

Klaus

hi ,

As discussed sharing the standard circuit diagram of the datasheet.
ade7758 test circuit.jpg

Well i have connectes all the 3 phases only.
Reading AVRMS register.The image of sclk and dout interface on oscilloscope is shown as below .
Image 1.jpg

I have pulled up the dout pin on ic with Vdd.

The input waveform of the Ac phase A is as shown below . Between Neutral and at pin VAP.
WAVEFORM ON PIN VAP wrt neutral ..jpg

It is showing 267mv rms at the pin VAP wrt to Neutral after the attenuation resistor network.......

Regarding the coding :
//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

void main()
{

//initialization
/*

*/

write8bits(OPMODE,0b00000100);delay_ms(1);
write16bits(AVRMSOS,0x0000);delay_ms(50);

while(1)
{
ss++;

value_read1 = read24bits(AVRMS);delay_ms(100);

if(ss >= 2)
{
ss=0;
Lcd_Out(1,1,"R:");
LongWordToStr(value_read1,txt);Lcd_Out(1,4,txt);
}

}

}

//---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- - - Updated - - -

Hi friends ,

I just tried to read the LCYCMODE REGISTER on power on. Not able to read properly .
Getting 0x7f instead of 0x78(default value) .Not able to read properly.....The dout pin is not driving out proper data ?

Last edited:

Well figured out one problem :

My set up is like this : uc(3.3V) ----- DIgital isolator ADUM2402--------ADE7758(Energy meter Ic).

When i power ADE7758 with 3.3 V it is displaying correct register value (LCYCMODE):120 in decimal(default power on value).
But when i power it with 5V supply , then dout pins doesnt give proper data output.

Well i tried with shifting mcu pins level to 5V by using 74HC245 but problem still persists ....still working on...

1. when i connect

Well Now iam able to read registers properly...Apologise for the confusing details given earlier. Actuall my spi communication read on dout pin was not proper.

Now I am reading AVRMS register : 24850d. (last 3 digits are still fluctuating from 24600d to 24900d). at 2 V AC.

But it increases now to 1273476d(last 4digit fluctuating from 1273000d to 1282000d) at 272 V AC.

AVRMSOS : 0x0000; // not used in this reading.

Please suggest how to proceed further.What value should i use for Offset register to make voltage match with real world.

Status
Not open for further replies.