Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple 120VAC to 12VDC Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thayne

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I inherited this battery charger that had all the wires broken off. The plan is to fix it and also add a switch and a capacitor. Does the lead out from the LED connect before or after the 6A10 diode? And did I put the capacitor in the right location? I attached the schematic I drew (I couldn't find some of the correct symbols, but I am sure you will understand just fine).

Thank you!

T 120-12.jpg

Hint: With D2, rectifier will only use pos. Half of AC voltage. You may use full AC sinus by bridge rectifier (will reduce output ripple/C1 may be smaller)
Bug: R1 & D1 should be placed (in series) parallel to C1 (instead of the vertical connection).
Other than this, circuit as DC power supply looks OK. For battery charging, you may need some resistor/circuit to limit charging current.

Reactions: Thayne

Thayne

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I don't know if I got more confused, but here is a new schematic with the bridge rectifier. I don't know if I got the capacitor right.

edit: Please ignore some of the symbols. I switched programs and am still navigating all the libraries looking for stuff.

Thank you,

TSchematic 12VDC.jpgSchematic 12VDC.jpg

No, this gets worse...
Here a quick sketch (also don't have a proper schematic tool available ;-)
Sketch.png

Reactions: Thayne

Thayne

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
OH. Got it. I think I was devoting too much time learning this new application (new to me -- Eagle) and less time thinking of the correct schematic. I even forgot to put the fuse in.

Thank you again. It is really, incredibly helpful to have a schematic for exactly what I am building to look at while I am watching the Afrotechmods videos on this stuff. It really hard wires it into my brain.

T

Can I use a C1010 in place of the rectifier? I am looking at a pile of old parts looking to reuse something.

never mind. I found the data sheet.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back