Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

High gain microstrip 2.4 GHz antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohammaddmt

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
I want to design a high gain planar antenna at the Frequency of 2.4 GHz.
the only limiting factor of this design is that the size of the antenna is limited to 30mm*40mm.
what kind of microstrip antennas or what method of increasing gain in such an antenna do you suggest?
I will be happy to get a feeback from you.
Regards.

Using the lowest possible permittivity substrate and perhaps a gain-enhancing superstrate are probably your best options.

Here is an option:

Attachments

• inv_F.gif
    inv_F.gif
    25.5 KB · Views: 141

Hi

If you are not completely restricted in the z-direction, there is the option of doing stacked patch.
If it has to be completely plannar, I only know using arrays, which will make it larger.

I think the question is: what radiation pattern is required? "High gain" sounds like directional (possibly patch), PIFA is rather omnidirection. Both have advantages, it really depends on the application.

To get the maximum possible gain from a normal patch antenna the resonant length of the patch should be about λ/2 (slightly shorter due to the extended electric fringing fields).
That means the length should be about 60mm, which is more than the required dimensions.
A smaller patch than λ/2 may have less gain in a particular direction than an inverted-F antenna.

That means the length should be about 60mm, which is more than the required dimensions.

But that's for a theoretical patch with air dielectric. With actual substrates, the size would be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back