Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power supply topology selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

berger.h

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need PS, max output power 150W min output power 2W
Input voltage 95-265 AC first stage is active PFC
Output 24V and 48V

I choice among these topologies and switching freq.

1.Two-switch forward with 66kHz
2.Two-switch forward with 132kHz
3. Half Bridge Resonant LLC with 250kHz

Between 1 and 2, an equally large transformer for both frequencies emerges surprisingly, and because of the lower switching losses, the option 1 better
3 looks interesting, especially with the resonant coil in the transformer, but I am afraid of behavior with minimal load

What topology do you recommend?

What trade-offs are you considering? Size, efficiency, cost,...?

The two switch forward at 66Khz, will be the more manageable design if you have not done similar before, even a single switch forward would suffice at 150W, with 900V mosfet.

good luck...

Yes, and you can drive the 2 switch forward upper fet with a bootstrap gate driver such as NCP5181.
As the attached ltspice sim shows, the 2 switch forward is just kind of like a full bridge with two transistors removed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, as even the sim shows, the leakage inductance in the transformer of the 2 switch forward acts like a turn-on snubber, meaning zero current at switch on even in CCM.

Attachments

• Two Transistor forward _basic.TXT
    4.7 KB · Views: 60

Status
Not open for further replies.