Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] the High speed op-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_kuty

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone, It is silly question,
What dose mean the "High speed" operational amplifier? the meaning of high speed

Bandwidth and/or slew rate.

It tells you how fast a signal you can put through it. It varies widely. Some opamps have only 10khz of bandwidth. Some have 1ghz or more.

As with most things in life it can be beneficial to only 'buy what you need'. Slower opamps will have benefits in other areas.

Though to be clear you want an opamp that is much faster than the signal you're putting through. 10khz bandwidth (or more) for example might be needed for good performance buffering 60hz.

Thank you, the bandwidth means unity gain bandwidth.

Typical standard op amps have a GBW of less than 1 MHz up to a few MHz.
Generally GBW of 10MHz or more are considered to be high-speed op amps, but I don't think there's a sharp line for that designation.

Typical standard op amps have a GBW of less than 1 MHz up to a few MHz.
Generally GBW of 10MHz or more are considered to be high-speed op amps, but I don't think there's a sharp line for that designation.

thank you for information, but I meant by the definition of "high speed" of op-amp, speed for what

Hi, if post #2 is just too clear, concise and correct to be helpful, apparently, TI have a great set of online tutorials and exercises for people who want to learn about op amps - and while there, why not check out all their endless selection of op amp resources!

Put a fast signal through a slower op amp and the output signal will be horrible and may miss subsequent input signals because it is too slow to keep up, like me in general in life or like a machine on a production line that is slower than the products on the conveyor belt passing it so only half the bottles of lemonade will get a cap on them - the machine is too slow to see bottles 2, 3, 4, 5 and only puts a lid on again at bottle #6.

thank you for information, but I meant by the definition of "high speed" of op-amp, speed for what
Speed of response to the input.
This refers either to the frequency (speed) of the signal or its rise and fall time.
High speed op amps will handle higher frequency signals and have a faster rise and fall time to a pulse signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.