Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transformer constantly steps down in LTSPICE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Regardless of inductance of either winding the transformer always steps down, there is hardly a load on the secendary also and the primary voltage source has no series resistance. How are transformers properly utilized in LTSPICE?

Screenshot_20180716_213816.png

Hi,

I didn't check the series resistances.

But with a L1/L2 ratio of 30/300, I expect a coupling factor of sqrt(300/30)...which is about 3.16.

Klaus

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

I didn't check the series resistances.

But with a L1/L2 ratio of 30/300, I expect a coupling factor of sqrt(300/30)...which is about 3.16.

Klaus

Resistances are 1 ohm per coil and it does not matter what values the coils are, even extremely far in inductance still yeilds lower voltage on secondary.

Resistances are 1 ohm per coil and it does not matter what values the coils are, even extremely far in inductance still yeilds lower voltage on secondary.

It matters well. Problem is that you apparently never calculated the 20 Hz reactance of your transformer magnetizing inductance settings, otherwise you won't use ridiculous small µH values. Try again with 30 and 300H.

Zak28

Agree with FVM. You have to consider impedance as well as voltage. The impedance of the coils at 20 Hz is far higher than the 1K you are trying to drive.

Bob

Zak28

It matters well. Problem is that you apparently never calculated the 20 Hz reactance of your transformer magnetizing inductance settings, otherwise you won't use ridiculous small µH values. Try again with 30 and 300H.

Yes, an ideal transformer has infinitely high inductance and therefore draws zero current on its own (all current is due to the secondary load).

I'm willing to put some blame on basic transformer resources which do a poor job of articulating this fact and explaining magnetizing inductance in general.

Ltspice is actually great at teaching this because it models transformers as they are: two coupled inductors and forces you to grapple with the inductance values from the start. I recall having this same confusion.

Zak28

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back