Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Surge controller circuit for a power strip

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishanand14

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Friends

We all know that there is a surge controller circuit inside a power strip (one used for a computer).
I am wondering what kind of circuit is inside.
Can anyone suggest me a practical circuit to make my own power strip which can power 1 kW of load for 220V/50Hz supply.

The name 'surge protector' is more distinctive and suggests it provides greater protection from spikes and harmonics and overvoltage, via simple or complex conditioning circuitry.

Power strips are usually low cost, and often contain merely an MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor). It conducts when mains voltage rises too high (depending on the mov specification). You can install one yourself. It's a good idea to replace them after a few years, since they can go bad eventually.

Hi,

Well can you suggest a better circuit.

Can you? What ideas and circuits have you worked through so far? Is that really a constant kiloWatt, is it? Or does it have a duty cycle and can there be off time for cooling?

...What about an electronic switch with a comparator to measure surge voltages or currents and switch off the pass devices or something better thought out?

I've picked up plain power strips cheap at yard sales.

In the past I've seen small one-outlet spike or surge protectors (for instance Radio Shack). Another type reduced interference from nearby appliances. I disassembled one and found a coil of wire and a capacitor.

If you want true line conditioning, then you want:
* clean sine AC
* correct voltage and frequency
* providing a few cycles of power during momentary blackouts.
Which means about the same thing as an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). This is not an easy DIY project. It contains batteries, a charger, and power inverter.

Computer manufacturers would claim their products contain a 'quality' power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.