Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD/SMT Capacitor footprint sizes

Status
Not open for further replies.

P_C_B

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

1) I am creating a PCB and will be hand mounting all the components. While selecting the capacitors (similar issue for the resistors as well), I am planning to go with a size that would be easy for me to mount the components on the board. I selected the 1206 size for the capacitors. However, when I was creating the footprints, I found that the manufacturers have provided different land patterns for the same 1206 package size. Which size should I select for manual soldering process? The manufacturers have options such as "Flow Soldering", "Reflow Soldering", "Density Level A, B, C". Also each one of them has different ranges for min and max. Should I select min, max or somewhere in between?

I have attached a screenshot of some of the manufacturer sizes.

WTyBvTQ.jpg

2) I have a follow up question regarding the footprint as well. Once I create the footprint and view the 3D view of the board in Altium, I do not see the "Top Paste" layer, is there a way to view the top paste layer in the 3D view?

Maybe I have missed something straight forward, but I just wanted to clarify.

Thanks in advance

Use reflow, density level A or B, mean between min and max. It gives you plenty of margin for hand soldering.

Solder paste won't be regularly displayed in 3D view (and you aren't using it at all). I presume it can be shown somehow, but why?

Reactions: P_C_B

P_C_B

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
You must choose the capacitor with the longer pads. I mad SMD manual soldering and if the pads are bigger, the easier is the soldering

Hi,

Believe it or not, but overly large pads will cause a higher fail rate with reflow soldering.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.