Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[moved] What type of UART I need ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzun

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello.
I'm sorry if I'm posting in wrong forum.
I bricked my router and I need a UART to unbrick it. I'm new to UART's and stuff like that and I don't know what UART to choose. One guy told me mostly I need 3.3V. That UART will be okay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Metal-case...CP2102-STC-PRGMR/222503843286?epid=1250535213 ?
Also I find in my local shop this USB To TTL Adapter FTDI FT232RL, jumper 3.3v-5v, USB, it will be okay ?
I just read that in case I use a 5V UART on a device where 3.3V need to be used it could blow the chip
On router back it says 24V-2.5A
If I need to provide some more info just say it and I will do it

Re: What type of UART I need ?

Firstly, a UART alone will not fix it. If the problem is corrupted firmware in the router, a UART might be able to let you upload new firmware so make sure you have it ready to use. In most cases, you also need some software from the router manufacturer to allow you to communicate via the UART interface.

Both the ones you found should be OK. The voltage you need should match the voltage INSIDE the router so it would probably be best to measure it before deciding on 5V or 3.3V. Ignore what the routers external power requirements are because it almost certainly has an internal power supply and regulator that drops it to either 5V or 3.3V (rarely to 1.8V).

Using 3.3V on a 5V device might work but would be outside manufacturers specification, however it probably wouldn't do any damage. Applying 5V to a 3.3V device is quite likely to kill it though.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back