Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Does the average digital multimeter measure AC amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownt

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,

does the average digital multimeter measure AC amps?
and how does it do that?

does an analog multimeter measure AC amps?

Last edited:

Hi,

What do you expect?
That we mind read to find out what type of multimeter you use?
Then search the internet for the datasheet and read it?

It's more easy and more fast if you do this on your own.

Klaus

that's a little insulting Klaus. I have checked it with two manuals, and it seems to me that even a cheap digital meter will measure AC amps. However, I have a technical, professional and well known resource in front of me, that states that is not the case. So, I am after confirmation, one way or the other.

a technical, professional and well known resource
So the "resource" says, it can't be that the cheap meters measure AC current although they claim?

If the multimeters have AC voltage and DC current measurement capability, there's nothing special about measuring AC current as well. They measure AC current with the same shunt as used for DC.

The more interesting question is, how they measure AC, voltage and current. Can be true RMS (unlikely for cheap devices) or average rectified value, scaled to RMS.

In any case, read the datasheets, come back with doubts remaining thereafter.

Hi,

We have just as much information as you give us.

In your post you don't give exact nor verifiable informations, you just ask a random question.
You don't give details about the meter you use and you don't give details about what you have done so far.
My post was not meant to be insulting..
We simply have no chance to verify your informations, nor do we have a chance to give an exact answer.

Let me translate your informations to non technical questions:
Then ask yourself if/how it can be answered:

does the average meal taste sweet?
and how does it do that?
does an european meal taste sweet?

I have checked it with two receipts, and it seems to me that even a cheap meal tastes sweet. However, I have a technical, professional and well known resource in front of me, that states that is not the case. So, I am after confirmation, one way or the other.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.