Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Power output for DC-DC Converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

danilorj

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'd like to know what determines the output power of a DC-DC converter (let's say a buck converter)? Is it the input current, input voltage, the inductor current capacity...?

Input voltage and efficiency (current tends to "be what it
is", IOUT/eff%=IIN) define the real input (average) current
in the moment.

Ratings tend to be reliability based and this includes some
assumptions / limits for baseplate temp, component wearout
(current, voltage, thermal) and so on, certain to be less
than the peak or short-term power output capability.

Last edited:

Only what they tell you. If it could produce the 35V output it claims at 10A it would be a 350W converter so I think you have to take their word for it and assume that (output V * output I) must not exceed 100 or 150 if it is force cooled.

Brian.

So let's change the question. Let's suppose I want to make up a boost converter from scratch. How do I know it's a 150W, 200W, 300W,... 1000W converter? I was wondering if it's the limit current capacity of the inductor. Also, the output voltage is limited by the capacitor voltage limit. So for the converter from Amazon, the maximum input voltage is 32V and the inductor current limit is 5A, this way the input power is 160W, due to some losses along the way I can get about 150W at the output, does that make sense?

Hi,

So let's change the question. Let's suppose I want to make up a boost converter from scratch. How do I know it's a 150W, 200W, 300W,... 1000W converter?
You design it to be the power rating you need.

If you want a 35V /10A supply, then it simply IS a 350W supply.

Let´s re-arrange your question, to make it more visible:
Let's suppose I want to build a house from scratch. How do I know how many rooms it will have?
--> you need to decide and design it...

You don´t choose a random inductor (or capacitor) ... and build the rest of the circuit around the inductor.
--> You decide the power supply specifications. Decide which topology to choose. You do the calculations for the inductor. (inductance, DC resistance, saturation current...)
Then you do a search at the inductor manufacturers for a suitable device.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.