Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simples current mirror input impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAMALEAO

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

How can we decrease further the input impedance of a simple current mirror? Has anyone tried to do this?

BR.

Are you talking about BJT or MOS current mirror? The input impedance of a "simple" (two transistor) BJT current mirror is the diode impedance Vt/id, you can't change it. The MOS input impedance depends on Vth and Idss and can be adjusted by varying the transistor geometry.

In general simple current mirror has always input impedance equal to 1/gm at dc. If you want to decrease it by some serious factor you will need to apply negative feedback loop to cover input node. However, it would not be a simple current mirror anymore ;-)

Thank you all for the reply.

I am talking about a simple current mirror using mosfets.

Dominik, you are right and it was the first thing that came in to my mind. However no idea how this can be done.

Do you have tip?

The comprehensive solution is described here.

However, the simplest solution is to provide a current buffer (CG configuration) on the input. Check how high swing cascode CM and/or flipped source follower looks like.

Thanks for the link.

In regards to your suggestion, are you suggesting to check these on the paper or in another place?

- - - Updated - - -

I am just asking because on that link I can't see anything related to decreasing the input impedance using feedback. Just normal cascodes, etc.

The high swing cascode biasing is the same as flipped voltage follower which is nothing more than applying negative feedback loop with current buffer - as in attached scheme:
bitmap.png

In the linked article are almost all known current mirror configurations and in one section the configuration with decreased input impedance are discussed.

Thank you Dominik, very helpful. The thing is that I don't have access to that paper through Elsevier website. I have tried to find it on ieeexplore and they don't have it.
Any idea how to get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back