Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any ideas why we are fetching weird waveform in Tiva?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FootTea

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My friend is building an energy monitoring for single phase AC. I only helped him in soldering but I do have some knowledge in electronics and arduino. I have soldered already 10 boards (assuming it has been tested already which I later found out was not). For this case, we will be using Tiva. I can follow his algorithm and PCB circuit but I didn't have actual experience using Tiva.

I can trace what I have soldered and this is what I assumed to be the voltage transformer part of the wattmeter. This is just a transformer to step down the voltage and some signal conditioning circuit to so that we will be in range of Tiva input by offsetting the negative half cycle to Tiva's 0 voltage.
Untitled.png

Transformer used is this one https://docs-emea.rs-online.com/webdocs/15c2/0900766b815c22e1.pdf .

When it was finished, it has to be tested. When it was tested, output waveform Tiva has fetched looked something like this: Untitled.png

The red part is interesting because I don't have an idea what could have caused it. It is a sine wave with a clipped square wave like shape on the positive half cycle. I don't have the exact fetched values since he was the only one showing to us the output and I don't want him to feel bad if ever something was wrongly done (either from design or soldering part).

The processor has a power supply of 3.3V and probably 0 - 3.3V analog input range. Offsetting the AC input to 3.3V can't but result in clipping of positive halfwaves. Retry with 1.65V offset.

Ooops. I forgot to add the other resistor of the voltage divider there in the to have 1.65 volts in the capacitor.

This was the designed and implemented PCB.

Untitled.png

This schematic had the clipped output which I can't imagine where we were wrong. Something wrong with pin placement in Tiva? Something short-circuited? Non-linear voltage transformer response? I can't imagine where to troubleshoot.

Hi,

a small 9V transformer may easily output 1.5 x 9V whith low load. (the 9V are for full load)
9V x 1.5 = 13.5V
this gives 13.5V x 1.414 = 19.1Vp
or 38.2Vpp

divided by 11 (your divider) it still is 3.47V, which is more than 3.3V.

Use a voltmeter to check true transformer output voltage.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back