+ Post New Thread

ultrasonic generators

Hi guys! We have this final capstone project in school. We are tasked to build an ultrasonic cleaning equipment like the one attached in this post. I just want to ask if by any chance someone here have done the same project and could provide us some useful information on how to build one. I already searched for ultrasonic generator circuits but could not find any schematic on the web that we can use as reference for our design.

We need 400-600w of power to drive an array of transducers to create cavitation for cleaning purposes.
    the system has three frequencies of operation 40khz/80khz/135khz.

any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
    Last edited by Undergraduatepowerelecs; 9th July 2018 at 17:56.

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator

Helped
    2352 / 2352
    Level

Re: ultrasonic generators

You can click on the list of similar topics found by scrolling down this column.
    Also try a forum search on the words
    ultrasonic and transducer.

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    Most Frequent Poster 3rd Helpful Member

Helped
    2929 / 2929
    Level

Hi,

I already searched for ultrasonic generator circuits but could not find any schematic on the web that we can use as reference for our design.
    A simple internet search gives a lot of schematics.
    You need to refine your search skills.

Klaus
    Please don´t contact me via PM, because there is no time to respond to them. No friend requests. Thank you.

•   AltAdvertisment

Newbie level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Okay I think I found one article that would help me on this project. But I want to ask regarding the transducer I'am about to use.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SPECS.PNG 
Views:	5 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	147806
    It is a multi-frequency transducer and I want to know if at these frequencies the transducer would be resonant? The manufacturer did not specify.

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13008 / 13008
    Level

None-resonant operation frequencies make no sense, they won't achieve relevant power transfer. You need to hit the "series resonance" (talking in LC equivalent circuit terms) frequency which shows an impedance minimum.

It's rather normal that an ultrasonic transducer of the cylinder type has multiple resonances at (roughly) integer multiples of the fundamental.

•   AltAdvertisment

Newbie level 3

Helped
    0 / 0
    Level

Hello Brad!

I found this circuit and I just want to modify this to drive my transducers with a driver circuit that has an output that sweeps around the transducer's resonant frequency. What part of this circuit should I modify?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DRIVER CIRCUIT.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	178.5 KB 
ID:	148013

Super Moderator

Helped
    2352 / 2352
    Level

Quote Originally Posted by Undergraduatepowerelecs View Post
    Hello Brad!
    What part of this circuit should I modify?
    Sorry, I have no hands-on experience with the IR2110. But you can do a search and see it is a topic in many threads here.

I suppose the M in a circle is a meter? This can be a plain D'Arsonval type (a shunt is probably necessary). Maybe you can use a digital meter if it is fed reasonably smooth DC current, otherwise it has trouble reading fluctuating waveforms.

It's important to avoid exceeding the volts & Amperes which your transducers can tolerate. Taking figures in your chart (post #4) the math suggests about 30VAC @ 700mA.

In your schematic notice F1 is a fuse rated 1A.

Power comes through the push-pull arrangement Q1 Q2 C3 C5. You can test it for driving one transducer, however to drive several it is probably best to build a power stage for each transducer. That is, all circuitry from B1 (diode bridge) to R14 R15.

--[[ ]]--