Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]Need Help Converting from 4 x AAA batteries to transformer or Li-ion batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

lprb99

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there!
I own a old calculator TI-84 SILVER EDITION - Texas instruments, powered by 4 x AAA 1,5 v batteries, i was wondering if it was possible to convert it to a pack of rechargeable smartphone batteries or connect it to a DC transformer.
I don't know anything about eletronics
Hope you help me !

According to the manual, the TI-84 Silver Edition is powered by a replaceable, rechargeable, and can be powered/recharged from a USB supply.
So why do you want to put in different batteries?

From its manual:

Use one of the following options to charge the battery in the TI-84 Plus C graphing calculator:
• Connect the graphing calculator to a computer using a USB computer cable.
• Connect to a wall outlet using a TI wall adapter (may be sold separately).
• Place the graphing calculator in a TI-84 Plus C Charging Station.
The amount of time required to fully charge the battery may vary, but charging normally takes four to
six hours. It is not necessary to remove the TI Rechargeable Battery from the graphing calculator to
recharge it. The graphing calculator operates normally while it is attached to a charging source

According to the manual, the TI-84 Silver Edition is powered by a replaceable, rechargeable, and can be powered/recharged from a USB supply.
So why do you want to put in different batteries?

From its manual:

Use one of the following options to charge the battery in the TI-84 Plus C graphing calculator:
• Connect the graphing calculator to a computer using a USB computer cable.
• Connect to a wall outlet using a TI wall adapter (may be sold separately).
• Place the graphing calculator in a TI-84 Plus C Charging Station.
The amount of time required to fully charge the battery may vary, but charging normally takes four to
six hours. It is not necessary to remove the TI Rechargeable Battery from the graphing calculator to
recharge it. The graphing calculator operates normally while it is attached to a charging source

Hi thanks for your reply, my calculator is the old one , The TI-84 Silver edition , this one : https://education.ti.com/en/product...g-calculators/ti-84-plus-se?category=overview , what i pretend is to convert it to use a smartphone battery (3,7 v) , i think i need two of this because 4 x AAA = 6v , but i don't know how they should be connected, cause i'm a beginner with eletronics , i don't know if i have to put a resistor between the batteries and the calculator, i'm afraid of blowing it up!

Hope you help !

Luís

Why do you want to fart around with something totally ill-designed for your purpose rather than just using the correct size batteries?

Cause i'm tired of wasting money in alkaline batteries, which doesn't last a reasonable time.

If you really can't use rechargeable AAA batteries (still can't understand why not) then don't just use a resistor between the batteries and the device. If you are not sure why not then read up on Ohms law and think about what happens as the battery voltage drops over time.
If you must do this then use an LDO regulator to give you the 6V that you will need. This will also let you use a wider array of power sources.
Susan

In theory you must connect batteries in series and use voltage regulator to have the 6V supply voltage

Cause i'm tired of wasting money in alkaline batteries, which doesn't last a reasonable time.

Have you considered trying lithium replacement battery for aaa battery. It is actually a 3.7 volt battery with a small bit of circuitry to reduce down to 1.5 volts and they are rechargeable. I have not used them before so I can't vouch for how durable they are. They are also a bit pricey.

Status
Not open for further replies.