Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] MICRON MT25Q QSPI flash memory access in quad mode in vcu118 kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdakram149

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

i am using vcu118 kit, i am trying to access QSPI flash present in it. i have QSPI controller using basic device driver i am trying to read and write the data in quad mode. In vcu118 kit we have Micron MT25Q flash memory, i can able to read and write in single extended mode. i have gone through the datasheet. it says by default QSPI flash memory is in single mode to activate in quad mode.

first we configure the QSPI controller in default mode and then we have to write 0x7F in enhanced volatile configuration register with command of 0x61. before that we have to send write enable command 0x06. then flash memory will be configured in quad mode and we have to configure the controller in quad mode.

for basic testing i was just trying to READ ID code in quad mode by sending command 0XAF in quad mode. but i am unable to get the ID CODE in quad mode it is showing all FF.

i have tried reading the register after writing 0X7F in it. it is still 0XFF.

i cant able to understand what is wrong in it? can anyone please tell me, what else should be done to configure qspi in quad mode

and just read id code in quad mode

i am attaching the qspi datasheet

Attachments

• MT25Q_QLKT_U_01G_BBB_0.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 282

Hi,

First check your hardware:
* What exact device do you use and is the connection according Figure5?
* Is there a proper decoupling capacitor at VCC?
* Is the supply voltage correct and stable (during access)? --> scope
* Are the signal levels correct? --> scope
* Is the timing correct? --> scope

Klaus

hi

thank you for the response,

i am using QSPI flash memory inside the vcu118 kit, i have checked in vcu118 schematics the power supply, capacitors are properly connected. the device that is present is MT25QUO1GBBB8ESF-0SIT. we are using ESTARTUP3 device primitive to connecting qspi in the RTL.

single mode is properly working. so i am sure that the hardware has no problem.
i am having doubt whether i am configuring the flash memory correctly.

to enable the quad mode
1. send write enable cmd 0x06
2. to write into enhanced volatile configuration register - 0x61 command.
3. 0x7F is written in the above register to activate in quad mode
4. then configure the controller in quad mode and send the multiple read id code 0XAF to read the ID code on all the four lines.

is this sequence correct or am i missing anything?

Hi,

to enable the quad mode
= entering quad protocol --> see table 35
I´m missing this with your description.

Klaus

thank you i was in confusing should i have to use that command, i tried using that command once
i have given that command after sending 0x7F. but it didn't worked
but i cant able to understand when should i give this command ?

- - - Updated - - -

sorry once i have given once before 0x61 and once after 0x7F. i am confused about the sequence...

Also it is written in the datasheet that to initiate the quad protocol operations "the WRITE ENABLE command must not be executed" does that mean we have to first send command 0x35 (ENTER QUAD INPUT/OUTPUT MODE) and then send other commands i.e.

to enable the quad mode
1. send ENTER QUAD INPUT/OUTPUT MODE command 0x35h
2. send write enable cmd 0x06
3. to write into enhanced volatile configuration register - 0x61 command.
4. 0x7F is written in the above register to activate in quad mode
5. then configure the controller in quad mode and send the multiple read id code 0XAF to read the ID code on all the four lines.

is this the correct sequence ?

is it possible that it will take time to switch from single mode to quad mode, do i have to poll on the enhanced volatile register by reading it and waiting until it becomes 0x7F. the command for read enhanced volatile config register is 0x65. kindly help me out

hi all,

it is now working for activating quad mode , these were the steps i have used

to enable the quad mode
1. send ENTER QUAD INPUT/OUTPUT MODE command 0x35h
2. send write enable cmd 0x06
3. to write into enhanced volatile configuration register - 0x61 command.
4. 0x7F is written in the above register to activate in quad mode
5. poll the configuration register i.e read the enhanced volatile config register command is 0x65 and wait untill it
becomes 0X7F
6. then configure the controller in quad mode and send the multiple read id code 0XAF to read the ID code on all the four lines.

thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back