Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Behavior of lithium cells...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
Noticed for multiple occasions, after recharging 18650 lithium cells individually on the same charger, after days/weeks removed from the charger, some stay at about 4.2V. Others show 3.7V.
Has anyone read any report about it ? Is it because of their chemistry, age or health ?

could just be the tolerance on the different leakage current.

Hi,

I assume you did a forum search for similar topics or an internet search...

Then you most probably already heard about

Klaus

after recharging 18650 lithium cells individually on the same charger, after days/weeks removed from the charger, some stay at about 4.2V. Others show 3.7V

I too had similar experiences but I did not probe further. They were all purchased together I presumed they came from the same batch. Out of 10 (bought together from aliexpress) three are unable to retain their charges.

I guess the cause is basically poor quality control. But I too am not so sure...

some stay at about 4.2V. Others show 3.7V.
This is why lithium cells needs of battery management systems with charge balancing.
Note the State of charge (SOC)/V characteristic of lithium cells: at high or low SOC the cell voltage vary a lot.

Battery management circuitry is for batteries; not for individual cells. The charger manages the charging recipe for a single cell.
When removed from charger as the process is finished, weeks after set aside unused, some show 3.7V, some 4.2V. Never seen an in-between value.

Lithium cells have a 'nominal' voltage of 3.7V. Where does that figure come from ? Some show 4.2V. Data sheets show mostly 4.2V charts at full charge.

Like a lead-acid automotive battery. Charging voltage is 14V. But the battery shows 12.6 at rest or 'nominal' 12. Lithiums have a charging voltage of 4.2V. But not all come down to 3.7V at rest. 8-O

Status
Not open for further replies.