Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Underwater sedimentation measurment

Status
Not open for further replies.

H2M

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I am working on sewer pipe inspection robot. I want to measure Underwater sedimentation. What kind of sensor i must use?

I presume some kind of optical sensor. Are you trying measure sediment in suspension, or deposits on the pipe wall?

I picture calipers which measure inside diameter from top of pipe to sediment at bottom of pipe. The reference value is the entire pipe diameter measured when there is no sediment.

The robot pulls the caliper behind it, and senses the caliper opening and closing as it encounters various depths of sediment.

Explore tridimensional scanning, sort of a rotary barcode scanner.
If the fluid is murky, optical will not be ideal.
If there is partial filling fluid/air, sonar will not be ideal.
If fully filled fluid, radar may not be ideal.
If the robot can measure how extended its sorrounding springy wheels/tracks are, may work.

In my car there is sensors at each wheel suspension telling something to its self-leveling computer. With wheels all around the robot contacting the pipe, measurements could be done every desired cm. It is just a rotary potentiometer in a weatherproofy housing.

----> https://duckduckgo.com/?q=suspension+ride+height+sensor&t=canonical&ia=images

- - - Updated - - -

Or, browse
----> https://www.laserscanningforum.com/

Last edited:

How are you coming along with your project. It's not really as simple as one might think. The solutions given so far are very good but I'm thinking sewer sediment will not always be firm. If using calipers or wheels to make measurements they may just sink into the soft sediment or sludge. You also need to know where you are in the sewer. If your not directly in the center you wouldn't necessarily be able to measure differences in overall height. All sewer aren't round either. They might be round or oval and some even have channels with walkways down the sides. If the sewer always had several inches of water in it maybe you could you use a sonar array.
Ideally you need a sensor that can measure the entire profile of the sewer through water and air. As far as I know there aren't any. The only thing close that I know of is Sattelite bathmetry that is used to map shallow coastal waters. But I doubt that it would work in your application.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back