Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is this "common knowledge" ? (2-bit color palette in 8-bit computers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hallo99

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

i try to build something tile-related and i need to know if i hurt someones feelings if i do this :smile:

The problem is the part where the 2 pixels from the tile-detail-map encodes the final color via the color map/ palette map. I saw that the C64 has a different solution from Master System and especially the NES. I would need the selectable palette system of the NES to where my 2 bit point to. But i fear that i get trouble with nintende forever when i use this :)

Does someone know if anything of this color-information-pointer-stuff is common knowledge and usable for everyone ?

Thanks!

Re: Is something of this "common knowledge" ?

I had a VIC20 and C64. I remember that I managed to get the 2-bit color palette to work on my VIC20. It created graphics 'that were clunky' looking, since were made from pixels that were much wider compared to their height.

This was before any standard formats emerged for making 8-bit computers display high-resolution color. (And Commodore had a tendency to create its own methods anyway.)

It was work (but fun too) for us ordinary humans to manipulate the screen memory, with its specific byte locations, and exacting calculations required to change even one pixel. I suspect the manufacturers automated the easy stuff, while giving us a few color options to explore in case we wished. I don't suppose the hard stuff would be well-known, except among devoted 8-bit enthusiasts, or emulator programmers. If this is concerning legal issues, I'm ignorant.

Can a reference from 2 pixels to a palette map like the NES does be somehow protected? Has Nintendo invented this ?

I would like to know so i can sleep well :)

Most all the manufacturers tried their own method to bring more 'pizzaz' to computer graphics. It's difficult to get a grasp of each manufacturer's method. The Wikipedia article below compares several. They look similar with minor differences. They were trying to exceed the limitations of that era with various workarounds, and I don't see that any stand out from the others as being optimum.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_8-bit_computer_hardware_palettes

Status
Not open for further replies.