Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Inverter design using simple circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

gary36

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I have an incoming 220V DC voltage and it must be converted to +5V/+/-15V DC (linear supply). One way is to invert the DC and through transformer provide isolation and step down through linear regulator. Is there any other way? Any off the shelf solutions to prevent redesign?

Sure there are off-the-shelf modules. How much power do you need?

Three of these could do what you ask. Again, no idea what your power needs are. This also illustrates another point: "AC" Supplies will typically run off 220DC and may hit more options.
https://www.recom-power.com/pdf/Powerline-AC-DC/RAC01_02-SC.pdf

Other options are these non-isolated types which could power smaller isolated supplies
https://www.monolithicpower.com/en/...nversion/hv-buck-regulators-lt-10w/mp175.html

And then there are many higher powered 'open frame' types.

Hi
If I conveyed it rightly, my input voltage is DC220V and Not AC. Many of the converters indicated are AC/DC type. I am also looking for linear regulator instead of switching counterpart

Hi,

How much power do you need?
Yes, it´s about useless to further discuss without knowing if you are talking about milliwatts or megawatts.

Klaus

Hi
If I conveyed it rightly, my input voltage is DC220V and Not AC. Many of the converters indicated are AC/DC type. I am also looking for linear regulator instead of switching counterpart

A linear regulator from 220V DC to 5V DC will waste 90% of the power being drawn. If you need the steady output of a linear regulator, use a switching regulator to a voltage 3V higher than you need, followed by a linear regulator.

Bob

Hi

As I specifically mentioned, many converters in this voltage range will be marketed as AC to DC. However when you read the datasheet you'll see they're specified for DC input as well. Both the parts I linked are examples of that.

You can't have isolation without switching and realistically you can't do 220->5V without switching either.

The suggestions I gave were for the step down and isolation aspect. You'd follow them with linear if that's what you need.

But we need the power level to help more.

Ok I require 5V/3A from 220V DC. Power supply should be less noisy

Hi,

with a linear regulator you will dissipate 645W at heat.
You need a couple of transistors, a huge heatsink and a fan to spread the heat.

The only useful is a switching power supply.

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.