Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] recharging batteries in series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zak28

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have some rechargable NiMH 800mAH AAA batteries nominal voltage is 1.4v which is what the supplied charger charges them at and 250mA per battery as specified on the datasheet. Is it safe to charge them @ 4.2v 750mA in series?

Last edited:

Why 750 mA? Current should be the same in series circuit. Another question if it's acceptable to fast charge the batteries at about 1C.

Series charging without balancing means is frequently applied to NiMH battery blocks, but must be never used for LiIon cells. It's only acceptable for batteries made of same cell type and equal state of charge. Overcharging and respective reduction of lifetime may happen though due to differences in cell properties.

Reactions: Zak28

Zak28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Why 750 mA? Current should be the same in series circuit...
Because the total equivalent current for 3 batteries is 750mA thus the buck converter Im going to use would have an appropriate current limiting resistor on its output.

...if it's acceptable to fast charge the batteries at about 1C...
Im sure its fine at least for parallel arrangment since its whats specified on the datasheet for the charger.

With batteries present it's difficult to predict their effect on the charging voltage and charger's internal resistance. The 4.2V charger may not push as much as 250 mA through the cells. In that case you are safe.

However 750 mA is about C/1 charge rate. It will make them hot, which can shorten their useful life.

I have a charger which delivers 100 mA. Little AAA cells heat up in it. I ought to be more careful (but I'm not) as to the length of time I leave them charging. Nimh type cannot tolerate abuse as well as Nicad.

Zak28

Hi,

Because the total equivalent current for 3 batteries is 750mA
This simply is wrong for cells connected in series.

Klaus

Zak28

Hi,

This simply is wrong for cells connected in series.

Klaus

I absolutely overlooked the simple principle, I will keep it far below 250mA for the series arrangement.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.