Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

how to measure audio audio delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownt

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to measure the delay in an audio system between input and output. Due to the signal processing I think it is around 50mS as I can hear the delay. How can I measure that delay time? I tried phase on an oscilloscope, and it is different, but if its over 360 degrees then it doesn't tell the delay time

If I where to perform that task, I would set up a regular computer/laptop with audio in, and record your input / output signal through right/left audio channel. Of course via a small transformer to isolate the audio input.
I would have used the software Audacity, where you're able to make a stereo track into two mono tracks and invert one of them - you see where I'm going.

Then move one track forward in time until they cancel each other out (the level should be identical for that to work).

At least it is a cheap way of meassuring delay of audio signals.

You can't measure the delay with a continuous single tone. You either need to sweep the frequency or switch the magnitude.

but if its over 360 degrees then it doesn't tell the delay time...

It is easier if you start with pulses with long gaps (short on and long off) that is adjustable.

Focus on the centre of the pulse because it will get rounded in the output.

If you want to measure the phase shift as a function of frequency, then you need elaborate setup.

If the delay is constant at all frequencies of interest, then simple hand claps can be used...

Status
Not open for further replies.