Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with troubleshooting PCB with MPU6050 and ATmega328

Status
Not open for further replies.

andreasalarm

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone!
I am currently developing an early phase prototype together with two friends. The board contains an ATmega328p-AU, an MPU6050 and MFRC522. We are able to both boatload and load sketches on the ATmega328p and also communicate with the MFRC522, but sadly we are not able to communicate with the MPU6050. The MPU6050 uses I2C, and our measurements off the SDA and SCL seems to show that our ATmega328 is able to send information, but that the MPU6050 is not able to send anything back. I have attached schematics of the MPU6050 circuit, the full schematic, the PCB design and datasheet for MPU6050.

The components of the circuit have the following functionalities;
C15 and C17 - Bypass capacitor.
R4 and R5 - pullup resistor for I2C lines.
C16 - Charge pump capacitor.
C18 - Regulator filter capacitor.

Attachments

• PCB layout.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 109
  • MPU-6000-Datasheet1.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 110
  • Full Schematic.PNG
    Full Schematic.PNG
    37.9 KB · Views: 151
  • MPU6050 schematic.PNG
    MPU6050 schematic.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 141

Hi,

Show a scope picture of the I2C communication. At least the first two transmitted bytes.

Please rectify the capacitor values:
100pF like C1, C2 make no sense. Usually they are 100nF
104pF --> 100nF
0.01uF --> 10nF
And so on.

Klaus

Hi,

First you have to read the pcb layout guidelines in the datasheet on page number 43. Then do the proper layout according to that.
The signal routing under the die is prohibited here. Please avoid all signal routing under the IC. You can give heat sinking pad on PCB
for exposed pad and its not necessary.
Read the page again you ill get more glimpses....

Status
Not open for further replies.