Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Toroids iron powder material identification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carpenter

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
On output of RF power amplifier over 10MHz is LPF on it this filter big inductor T130 , question is from what material?
Color code is yellow / gray or clear see on Picture.
If color code is Yellow Gray is material #35
If color code is Yellow Cleary is material #6

In over 10MHz LPF I would expect RF material 6, but color code looks like Yellow Gray 35
How do you see it?

6-35.jpg

I'm not the only one who has the problem of distinguishing the gray toroid from the gray color.
Which idiot invented it?

Cool.....

Different manufactures having different colour coding, difficult to identify
Iron Powder.png

I removed one of the coils and measured it.
I merasure L=577nH Q=17.5 on 100kHz (measured with autobalance bridge 4 wire connection, error 2% max)
The coil has 7 threads see picture.

Al= 577/7^2=11.77

because coil is T130 and
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
it will be materila 6, but at 7 turns the coil should have only max (9.6+5%) *7^2=494nH
Can the winding method used have such an effect on coil induction?

T130-6.jpg

Hi
Your calculated AL values are not matching to core AL value because of below reasons
1) Manufacturer measuring AL value with 100 Turns at 10KHz (you are measuring 7 turns at 100KHz)
Low turns should influence inductance because of window filling factor
Test frequency also influence
2) There are several other materiel similar permeability
-2 Matrial.png

You read the material property also, based on the property you can predict the material

Hope this information helps you

Probably yes, but tell me now.
I have T50-10 Black/Clear Epoxy Paint with 11 turn 1mm wire. toroid is ruined and I can not measure it.
I have T50-2 but how to wind it up.
T50-10 Al=3.1 3,1*11*11=375nH but if it not work for a small number of threads ...
T50-2 Al=4,9 4,9*9*9=397nH

Well -2 material is more permeable than -10 so manufacture wound different terns for calculating AL value.
-10.png

Your quietness is too tricky

for -10 they use 35 turns(1MHz) it seams less variation in AL due to number of turns (Consider 5% drop when use 1/3 of turns used for AL calculation)

So your expected inductance in -10 material @ 11 turns is 3.1*11*11*95% = 356nH

For -2 material consider 10% drop for 1/10 th of turns used for AL calculation

Wind 9 turns 4.9*9*9*90% = 357nH

Status
Not open for further replies.