Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PIC16f88 with GSM module

Status
Not open for further replies.

wencabrel

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello everyone
i am so glab being part of this cammunity
well i'm a beginner and like MPLAB programming microconctroleurs such as pic16f84a, pic16f88, pic16f877
i can say that i know how to use I/O but it's not enough
well i would like to use USART port of PIC16f88 to receive information and then turn on the light
like if the microcontroller is doing something and suddenly receives a message from its USART IT will save what it is doing and then turn on the light for a few second after those seconds passed it recoves the last status.
i am thinking to connect pins TXREG and RCREG to a GSM module to allow communication far away
i have the idea but i don't how to use USART and also INTERRUPTION precess
please i need your help

There are lots of example codes out there.

Basically, follow these steps, it is the same for all small PICs but note that the 16F84A does not have a USART which makes if far harder to communicate with through a serial link:

1. configure the USART registers so that transmit and receive are enabled and the baud rate (serial data speed) matches your GSM module.

2. write an ISR that reads any incoming bytes and saves them.

3. enable the RCIE bit so incoming characters are captured in the ISR.

If you are using assembly language I strongly recommend using the templates provided by Microchip to get started. The templates have all the essential ISR code in them already and comments to show where your own code goes.

Check your GSM module uses the same logic voltages as your PIC, if necessary add a level translating circuit. Don't fall into the common trap of believing you have to convert everything to RS232/V24 levels and back again! A level translator can be as simple as three resistors and one transistor.

Brian.

Thanks as i said i am at the beginning i don't know how to use or configure the usart if you can share with me a sample code

Status
Not open for further replies.