Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use a encoder on stepper motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stepperelectronics

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I do not consider the incremental encoder suitable for use with stepper motors, as the angular variations during the transition from one pole to another are abrupt, and some intermediary state could be lost, depending on how fast is the decoder's readability (eg, done by hardware or firmware). Perhaps an absolute encoder would be more appropriate.

What's your concern ? The control algorithm? Physically connecting them?

- - - Updated - - -

I do not consider the incremental encoder suitable for use with stepper motors, as the angular variations during the transition from one pole to another are abrupt, and some intermediary state could be lost, depending on how fast is the decoder's readability (eg, done by hardware or firmware). Perhaps an absolute encoder would be more appropriate.

Incremental encoders are used with steppers all the time. The system just has to be designed properly.

Incremental encoders are used with steppers all the time. The system just has to be designed properly.

For mechanisms where the physical load has a high inertia, and the measurement was not done on the motor axis itself, this would certainly not be any issue at all, but if one need some acuracy, this aspect should be taken into account; moreover this thread is at the hobby section and rotation speed was not specified, so I would not discard reading being done via firmware, where even interrupt handled, could loose states. Anyway, I agree with you that for most applications, an incremental encoder solves pretty sarisfactorily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back