Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 x 2 Microstrip Antenna Array feed Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey123

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please can anyone help me on how to design a corporate feed antenna network for a 2x2 microstrip antenna array with a single coaxial feed or any resources which can help me from the basic design of the feed.

Please help me thanks in advance :)

Assuming you have 50 Ohm coaxial line,
1) design 50 Ohm microstrip line.
2) design microstrip-T power divider. For example, sqrt(50*25) ≈ 35 Ohm vertical quarterwave line connected to horizontal 50 ohm line. It will divide single 50 Ohm input to two 50 Ohm outputs. Although for small array it may be beter to gradually increase impedance, for example T-divider before patches having 50 Ohm input and two 100 Ohm outputs.
3) design single patch antenna with some input impedance
4) determine distance between patches to obtain certain level of grating lobes / directivity / etc.
5) put patches in their positions and try to draw feeding network of 50 ohm lines and T power dividers
6) if it is too crowded or overlaps, you may try several things: increase 50 Ohm feeding network impedance, for example to 100 Ohm to make lines thinner. Reconsider distance between patches.
7) match impedance of feeding network and each patch. Quarterwave transformers or inset fed.
Small article on feeding networks: patch arrays and feeding networks.
There are tons of material, just google for "patch array design filetype:pdf" without quotes.

Thank you so much for your help:). That was important information...helped me begin. Can you please tell me which parameter is 25 in point 2)

We transformed 50 Ohm line to 25 Ohm line. 25 Ohm line may split to two 50 Ohm lines. There are more ways of doing such split.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back