Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing tapered waveguide

Status
Not open for further replies.

swilliams77

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm new to the microwave world, I have an Electrical Engineering qualification, but never worked with microwaves. I've observed via research papers people producing microwave generated high temperature plasmas and wanted to ( very cautiously ) try and reproduce some of the results I'd seen, using a humble 2.45 Ghz magatron I have sitting on my garage work bench.

The biggest issue is that I need to develop the knowledge to producing a tapered waveguide to boost the microwave intensity at the end of the waveguide to produce a plasma.

I have done some reading, but some of the basics seem to still evade me, in reality all I wanted is a basic design and some rules of thumb ( yeah....ha ha...its RF... ) to produce a basic rectangle section waveguide to have magatron at one end, waveguide tapered to half / quarter original thickness at other end where the quartz tube and plasma will sit.

I want to learn, hence my post.

I am acutely aware of the dangers of microwaves and HV.

Can I ask for some help, as I'd like assistance in designing such a thing from the ground up and am happy to read and research but its a big and complex field.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

It is practical to increase the power density in a rectangular waveguide by gradually reducing the small dimension. I used that technique in conjunction with a microwave ink dryer and easily was able to burn the fabric with the ink and was thus able to reduce the input power. I have no experience with trying to produce a plasma. That might be interesting and even more dangerous.

I have often been curious about the usefulness of higher order modes, in circular waveguides in particular. This could lead to an interesting exercise with a full wave simulator looking at various structures. In circular guides some of the higher order modes do not have electric fields terminating on the walls. I wonder if that would help produce your plasma?

Regards,

Azulykit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back