+ Post New Thread
    Advanced Member level 5
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Helped
    12 / 12
    Level

transform simple low voltage OTL tube amp into lower impedance by paralleling tubes

Hi, in this page http://blog.andijahja.com/2012/05/va...oltages-2.html the PL504 headphone amplifier is presented that uses a pl504 and no output transformer.
    Can I somehow parallel more than one PL504 to reduce the output impedance so as to be closer to 8 ohms? For example if I parallel two tubes will it be 300R?
    How shall I parallel the tube, does each tube need to have it's own resistors or just parallel them pin by pin?
    Is the output power doubled by paralleling tubes?
    Professional engineering is the top, but amateur engineering is more fun.
    It is when you cross the barrier between these two, that things become really fascinating!

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Awards:
    1st Helpful Member

Helped
    13006 / 13006
    Level

Re: transform simple low voltage OTL tube amp into lower impedance by paralleling tub

Individual cathode resistors, anode resistor should be scaled down according to # of tubes.

In the Rout >> RL range, output voltage is roughly doubled with two tubes, fourfold output power.

1 members found this post helpful.

•   AltAdvertisment

Super Moderator
    Achievements:
    7 years registered
    Awards:
    2nd Helpful Member
    Helped
    3890 / 3890
    Level

Re: transform simple low voltage OTL tube amp into lower impedance by paralleling tub

Somehow, having had great experience of using PL504s in TV applications, using such a huge component to drive a 600R headphone seems like massive overkill. The tube heater alone consumes 10W of power and lets say another 1W of anode power and all it does is provide about as much audio as a 741 op-amp! Paralleling them will indeed drop the impedance but even with FvM's quoted fourfold power increase, it will be extremely inefficient. Each PL504 will add about 11W to the PSU load but only a few tens of mW of output power.

To reach 8 Ohms impedance in that schematic you need to parallel 75 tubes so you would be looking at some serious forced air cooling to get any appreciable sound from a speaker.

Brian.
    PLEASE - no friends requests or private emails, I simply don't have time to reply to them all.
    It's better to share your questions and answers on Edaboard so we can all benefit from each others experiences.

1 members found this post helpful.

--[[ ]]--