Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transform simple low voltage OTL tube amp into lower impedance by paralleling tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, in this page **broken link removed** the PL504 headphone amplifier is presented that uses a pl504 and no output transformer.
Can I somehow parallel more than one PL504 to reduce the output impedance so as to be closer to 8 ohms? For example if I parallel two tubes will it be 300R?
How shall I parallel the tube, does each tube need to have it's own resistors or just parallel them pin by pin?
Is the output power doubled by paralleling tubes?

Individual cathode resistors, anode resistor should be scaled down according to # of tubes.

In the Rout >> RL range, output voltage is roughly doubled with two tubes, fourfold output power.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Somehow, having had great experience of using PL504s in TV applications, using such a huge component to drive a 600R headphone seems like massive overkill. The tube heater alone consumes 10W of power and lets say another 1W of anode power and all it does is provide about as much audio as a 741 op-amp! Paralleling them will indeed drop the impedance but even with FvM's quoted fourfold power increase, it will be extremely inefficient. Each PL504 will add about 11W to the PSU load but only a few tens of mW of output power.

To reach 8 Ohms impedance in that schematic you need to parallel 75 tubes so you would be looking at some serious forced air cooling to get any appreciable sound from a speaker.

Brian.

Reactions: neazoi

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.