Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How Carrier and Code NCO generates new frequency and phase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinks2092

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have a question that how the output coming out of PLL or DLL loop filter is utilised by the NCO to generate new frequency using the look-up table.
I have read it in books that NCO has a phase accumulator which coverts the output from the loop filter to some bits, and based on these bits we see the look-up table and find the corresponding frequency and phase value for these bits. And based on this frequency and phase the NCO would generate Sinusoid.
I fail to understand here that how does the phase accumulator converts the output of the loop filter to bits(1s and 0s). I need to know this because I have to use this NCO in a MATLAB program.

Thanks,
Priyanka

In a typical NCO design, the phase increment is a multi bit frequency control word rather than a single bit stream. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numerically_controlled_oscillator

Seems like you are asking about a special NCO design with fractional (< 1) single bit phase increment.

The relation Fout = Fclock*ΔF/2^n is valid for it as well, ΔF being the bit density.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

What is frequency control word? I am implementing Galileo Software receiver and in its tracking part we have an error signal coming out of PLL/DLL loop filters. This error signal which is in its decimal representation, is used as the input to the carrier/code NCO. Then how this error signal can be a multi bit Frequency control word?

Decimal representation means it’s just a mathematical value.. it’s range goes from let’s say -0.5 to 1.5.

This error signal which is in its decimal representation, is used as the input to the carrier/code NCO.
What do you mean with decimal representation in this regard? What's the range of the loop filter output?

- - - Updated - - -

The "mathematical value" is just an abstraction of a real signal.

What is the real signal? The context suggests a digital signal (otherwise you need an ADC to convert it), but what's the number format?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back