Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit for using two antennas (433 and 915 MHz)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dibarimarco

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have a CC1125 Module and I need to connect two different antennas (a 433MHz and a 915MHz SMD chip Antenna).

They have to be connected at the same time, so when is needed I can simply change the operating frequency of the module, having a multiband system.

What is the most used and convenient circuit topology for this kind of application? (RF Switches, splitters, etc..)

Thanks in advance.

Your solution is "Antenna Diplexer" .It's simply Bandpass Filters in a single case.I believe you can find commercial ones for those frequencies.

Thank you BigBoss.

Do you think is possible that I can find only commercial SMD Diplexer for Wifi 2.4/5 GHz and LTE and nothing for my kind of application?

Your solution is "Antenna Diplexer" .It's simply Bandpass Filters in a single case.I believe you can find commercial ones for those frequencies.

This.
Also you can make a diplexer filter from lowpass/highpass filters. Since the two operating bands are so far apart in frequency, designing the filters should be very easy

If you want to get fancy, you can design a SINGLE antenna to work at both frequencies....

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you BigBoss.

Do you think is possible that I can find only commercial SMD Diplexer for Wifi 2.4/5 GHz and LTE and nothing for my kind of application?

You have to design your own, using chip L's and C's. very easy though.

In your case, just pick a center frequency F0 = (433 * 915)1/2 = 629 MHz

So design a 50 ohm to 50 ohm lowpass filter at 629 MHz.
Design a 2nd 50 ohm to 50 ohm highpass filter at 629 MHz.
Connect them together in a T junction, and connect the antennas to the other two ends.
Since it is not a contiguous bandwidth, you can get away with this simple method.

Try a Google search for "2m 70cm diplexer" and you will get many hits that show how to design and build such a box as you want.
Of course those are for Ham Radio bands where such diplexers are extremely common. The circuit diagrams and principles will be the same but the calculated values will be quite different.
You could try "433mhz 915mhz diplexer" but you will mainly find commercial products (and this post) but there may well be something that gives you an idea. Again the principles are all the same.
The the power levels that the CC1125 creates you should not have a problem with the components but you should still be sure that all components can cope with the power.
Susan

Thank you both for the complete explanation!

One last point: I have seen some schematics where there are PiN Diodes on the two path (two for path).
Modifying the polarization of every couple with a switch I can turn off one path and turn on the other, so turning on the 433 MHz or the 915 MHz.

What do you think about this type of solution?

A diplexer (high-pass, low-pass) is a cheaper solution than using a PIN diode switch.
A well designed low-pass or high-pass filter can have the same insertion loss as a PIN diode switch, but may have better isolation.

a benefit of using a pin diode switch is that the unwanted band can be muted so as not to cause interference in your desired receive band. Receivers, depending on their frequency plan, are often susceptible to out-of-band noise and interfering signals.

The downside is the 2 or so dB of insertion loss you have to eat when you add a PIN switch over a passive diplexer. The higher receiver noise figure will change the maximum distance for the link.

As an alternative to PIN switches, there are many integrated SDPT RF switches available. They are widely used in all sorts of wireless stuff.

Practical solution to your problem will be dual-band antenna operating at both 916 and 433 MHz. In this case you need no switches no diplexers no any other frequency-selective arrangement. You connect said antenna to your dual-band CC1125 transceiver as per it's application note and switch frequency as your hart desired.
I happened to have substantial experience designing and implementing multi-band antennas, know it first-hand.
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back