Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Folded cascode OTA design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shishira

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
I am trying to design FC-OTA (single ended o/p), I was not given any specifications so I made one referring few papers.
Specs:
vdd = 1.8V (by technology)
vthn/p = +200mv/ - 210mv
Kn = 200µA/V² Kp = 60µA/V²
SR= 20V/µs
cL = 500fF
gbw = 100Mhz
ICMR = 0.6 to 1.6 (nmos diff pair)
o/p swing = 0.3 to 1.5
gain = 55 db.
Q1] Are these specifications reasonable to start a design?
Q2] I followed steps from Allen holberg and designed the schematic as per above specs. But, my pmos current cources M4 & M5(above nmos diff pair) & its bias transistor are in triode region. **broken link removed**All other transistors are in region 2.
Q3]My circuit is giving gain of 60 db and gbw = 40 Mhz, why is there a huge drop in gbw.

Q1) Yes, sort of. If you do the sanity checks on the numbers, you can get to some educated guess:

Slew rate gives you current: A 20V/us SR and a 500-fF load implies a minimum current of I > 2e8*0.5e-12 = 10 uA (which is very small.)

gbw = 100 MHz = 600 Mrads = gm/C => 300 uS => W/L ~ 100, which is reasonable, etc.

Q2) Attachment seems broken, but change the bias voltage accordingly?

Q3) The triode transistors could be a reason. Did you use wug or fug? 2pi was there or not? A factor 2 is not necessarily a huge drop. Try increase the current two times to see if you improve the result. Gm has to be increased.

Q1) Yes, sort of. If you do the sanity checks on the numbers, you can get to some educated guess:

Slew rate gives you current: A 20V/us SR and a 500-fF load implies a minimum current of I > 2e8*0.5e-12 = 10 uA (which is very small.)

gbw = 100 MHz = 600 Mrads = gm/C => 300 uS => W/L ~ 100, which is reasonable, etc.

Q2) Attachment seems broken, but change the bias voltage accordingly?

Q3) The triode transistors could be a reason. Did you use wug or fug? 2pi was there or not? A factor 2 is not necessarily a huge drop. Try increase the current two times to see if you improve the result. Gm has to be increased.

Q2] I am using transistor to generate bias voltage to M4 and M5. Any suggestion to understand how to generate bias voltages?
I read few literature, but not confident about it.
Q3] I did use 2pi for calculations. yeah, the triode transistors may be the reason .

I think a picture would simplify, it's hard otherwise to know what M4 and M5 are. Nevertheless, biasing those should not really be complicated. Do you have the correct mirror ratios?

fc_ota.JPG

Hi, Please find the attachment. The current ratio required is 1.5:1 i.e 25uA current in P3 and 37.5uA in P4 and P2.

I repeated the calculations with Itail 25uA and optimized little after simulations.
Now I solved the saturation issue of pmos current sources (P2 and P4 in attachment). But its biasing transistor P3 is still in triode region.

P2=P4=P5=P6= 40u/500n
n0=n1= 25u/500n
n6=n8=n10=n11=7u/500n
n2=n3=n4=n5=5.5u/1u [increased length to have better psrr]
p3=27u/500n( biasing for P2 and P4)
p1=1.5u/500n

Are these ratios reasonable to further analyze op amp parameters?

You connected all PMOS bulks to gnd. Source-Bulk junctions are forward biased, this is not normal operation. Connect PMOS bulks to vdd.

Hi, thanks for the comment. I am working on special transistor from global foundries. It's a small part of their research on their latest technology.
So in this case, it's 'back gate'. I have been strictly instructed to connect all back gates to gnd irrespective of nmos n pmos.
But, I have been facing issues in approximating the Vth of pmos due to this back gate effect.
It's coming +ve, which is too weird.

You connected all PMOS bulks to gnd. Source-Bulk junctions are forward biased, this is not normal operation. Connect PMOS bulks to vdd.
For this FDSOI technology back-gate default connection is ground for all core devices (however for thick oxide ones not).

@Shishira: How do you check the region of operation of transistors?
If I recognizing the process correctly, some of the dcOP parameters are calculated in wrong way (with default ADE options) and you should not believe them. Check if gm/gds is greater than 1.

Yes you are right about core devices, but I was told to connect all bulk to gnd for thick oxide ones as well .
So what's the best way to calculate dcOP parameters for this technology?
vth for pmos is also bit confusing, even in plots.

Threshold voltage is a non-physical parameter so you should not worry about it, but base all necessary calculations on inversion coefficient.
About a Vth, in pdk documentation should be a hint, what should be set to achieve a proper results.

Threshold voltage is a non-physical parameter so you should not worry about it, but base all necessary calculations on inversion coefficient.
About a Vth, in pdk documentation should be a hint, what should be set to achieve a proper results.
Could you tell me what is inversion coefficient that should be used for calculation ?
The pdk documentation is the " .scs " file of that transistor??

*.scs are the Spectre® model files
in PDK's main directory should be a 'doc' directory with tones of pdf files consisting tutorials, manuals, model descriptions and a lot of other stuff.

Informations on inversion coefficient can easily be found both in google like in the textbooks (i.e Enz, Vittoz; Binkley; Jespers). On this forum exists a number of threads touching this topic also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back