Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Modifying an ATX power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

boylesg

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How practical is it to modify only the 12V output of an ATX power supply such that it is adjustable to any voltage from say 5V to 12V?

Am am envisaging replacing a fixed resistor with a 25 turn trim pot.

Hi,

If it is a flyback, then it may become difficult, because there is only one regulation loop, for all output voltages in common.
If one voltage becomes smaller, all others will follow.

Klaus

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
...moreover, not infrequently the feedback resistor is on the high frequency side of the switching circuit, so that its replacement by a trimpot would surely cause EMI issues. By the way, it is more certain that the 5V is the reference voltage for the others, so that in order to adjust the 12V you would have to handle with the 5V circuitry.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello boylesg,
Check this place out:

ATX Mods

I haven't personally tried doing what the guy suggests in the link, but I have used
another modder to raise my output to 16 volts to which I need for a DCC controller,
which boosts the output current on a model train controller.
The only stipulation is that the PSU you want to modify, MUST have a SMPS Controller
IC either TL494 or the Korean clone KA7500.
I hope the above helps.
Regards,
Relayer

Check this place out
The article is about converting an ATX device into a single output variable voltage supply. That should work under circumstances.

But it's not possible to make the 12V output variable and keep the 3.3 and 5V output, at least not without adding a buck converter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back