Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Eagle is being deliberately trashed

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Eagle is the simplest PCB layout package, that works.
It cant do certain things, but its ease of use, makes it excellent.

Do you think autodesk are trashing eagle by making it subscription only?

I think a "save eagle" group is needed.

I am just trying to use diptrace in the way that i used eagle...its not happening......in diptrace, it seems to want me to make a library go into a group...why cant i just make a library file and store it in a folder called "mylib"?...this is intuitive and easily possible in eagle.

Autodesk please get off eagle. Please may the British (or whichever country you are from) government buy eagle and give it to electronics co's so that they can be operable.

Eh sorry but your comments are a bit nonsensical...

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I'd say Eagle was the 'no frills' type of PCB layout package.....but thats what i like about it, its so simple.
Tasks aren't abstracted off into some cyber world dreamt up by a software engineer.
No wonder eagle is the most common package used in Germany and China for boards that are simple.
Germany the worlds biggest exporter by capital value (in 2014 at least) , -China biggest by volume

Eagle admittedly cant do mulitple diff pair bus routing.
Also doesnt have a pusher.
Also doesnt do interactive real time DRC.

Eagle is the simplest PCB layout package, that works.

When did Eagle become the simplest PCB package?

I now use Kicad - every time I attempted using Eagle it was anything but intuitive or easy to use.

T

Hi,

ask 100 people and get 100 opinions.

I think every software need some learning phase until you are familiar with it.
Different software use different handling concepts.

My personal opinion: EAGLE is one of the easiest to use. Maybe I just say this, because it´s the one I´m the most familiar with.
All routing and routing_setup can be made with the mouse in one hand. And a lot self defined functions can be made with shortcuts with the other hand on the keyboard.
Once you are familiar with this way of handling .. you will miss it at the other software.
EAGLE especially with it´s scripts and ULPs is very flexible. But to use the scripts and ULPs you need some time to learn the programming.

Klaus

T

My personal opinion: EAGLE is one of the easiest to use. Maybe I just say this, because it´s the one I´m the most familiar with.

I have to agree with KlausST on this. I also say it because I'm used to Eagle as well.

I now use Kicad - every time I attempted using Eagle it was anything but intuitive or easy to use.

The thing I hate about Kicad is having to use keyboard commands to, "move", "rotate", "Copy" etc a component.
At least you can just use your mouse to manipulate each one with Eagle.
I've tried a fair few electronic CAD programs, and I've found Eagle to not only be the simplest, but it also takes
less time to achieve the end result.
Regards,
Relayer

T

yes eagle is best, i'd used loads of them, and never got great mastery...then found eagle, and wham, no problem...like falling out of bed...the thing is, the big corporate pcb layout packages want to get rid of eagle and get all eagle users over to
their package....also, layout consultancies hate eagle because customers can use it themselves to lay out pcbs without using their services...

Thats why i wonder if those with a financial vested interest in getting rid of eagle have purchased it in order to trash it.

- - - Updated - - -

Anybody who knows the structure of a pcb will be able to lay out pcbs in eagle......in fact, thats how they all should be but they arent .

Germany and China are majority eagle users...the worlds biggest industrial countries....makes sense.

Thats why i wonder if those with a financial vested interest in getting rid of eagle have purchased it in order to trash it.
Autodesk is a major CAD company but hadn't EDA products in the portfolio before acquiring Eagle. So the obvious reason why they changed the licensing model is that they want to make more money. The motives suspected by you don't sound plausible.

If Eagle is superior for you, you surely can afford to continue using it.

Yes i agree but the thing nobody can know, is who really owns autodesk. And who are autodesk "associated" with?.....behind the scenes in industry, there are all kinds of mutually beneficial collaborations going on.

Eagle is the last of the "anybody can do it" pcb layotut packages in my opinion...if it is severely changed, or trashed, then its a disaster for pcb layout.

You can know who owns Autodesk, it's a market listed US corporation. The simple reason why they are implementing a subscription license model for Eagle is that they did before with their mechanic CAD products like AutoCAD and Inventor. Enough of conspiracy theory, I think.

Autodesk is maintaining AutoCAD since 35 years, they should be capable to keep Eagle up. Nevertheless it's neither the only nor the last entry level or "easy-to-use" CAD package I think.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back