Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spice model to VLSI

Status
Not open for further replies.

clros

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is it possible to create a VLSI diagram (an IC layout) from a spice model? Is there any software that does this?

Depends on what level you imply:

On the digital side: "Yes". Digital place-and-route tools could be said to do what you ask for. A spice netlist could be used to describe a digital design. Cadence has commercially available tools. There is freeware available too.

On analog level: "No". That's a research field which with quite limited success has resulted in a few attempts which are rarely used. Most attempts end up with macro-generators for small, regular designs, in which distinct building blocks can be identified and from that build a fairly regular structure. Even though one would think it would be easy to do given e.g. all graphics engines for computer games or neural networks or AI or massive trial and error with genetic algorithms or what have you, I guess the market is too small. The analog designer is a conservative creature which tends to patch the design with small changes here and there. Put it this way: if I buy a very expensive analog design tool, it does not have any options to do the layout for me. It can be helpful in terms of assistance during the layout process, but it's not a Uber self-driving car.

Reactions: clros

clros

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Depends on what level you imply:

On the digital side: "Yes". Digital place-and-route tools could be said to do what you ask for. A spice netlist could be used to describe a digital design. Cadence has commercially available tools. There is freeware available too.

My circuit needs two types of mosfet, with 2 different VThs. The mosfet would still work in saturation or interdiction (never in the linear area).

Can I consider this as a digital circuit (always and only discrete values) or analogue one?

Sounds more analog. With digital I referred to the place-and-route tools. (The original question was not clear what type of layout and netlist you were looking for).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back