Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about cascode

Status
Not open for further replies.

promach

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For these cascode circuits , could anyone explain why it is 2*Vt + Vsat for the last two circuits (c) and (d) ?

I will deal with the output impedance derivation later and will come back to this thread if I face problem during derivation.

All screenshots are extracted from **broken link removed** or View attachment CMOS ACTIVE INDUCTORS springer.pdf

cascode_circuits.png

cascode_properties.png

From my understanding it should be Vt + 2*Vsat.

M3 Gate (or M2 Source) would be at Vt + Vsat,M3.
For M2 to be in saturation, minimum voltage at drain would be M2,Source + Vsat, giving us the minimum Vdd as Vt + Vsat,M3 + Vsat,M2
Or simply Vt + 2*Vsat.

This is unless we deliberately size M3 small, such that Vsat,M3 = Vt. But why would we do this?

Nitish

M3 Gate (or M2 Source) would be at Vt + Vsat

if M3 is NMOS, saturation requirement should be Vgs3 < Vth + Vds3 and Vgs3 > Vth

are you saying that I should take the value of Vgs3 since it is larger compared to Vds1 ?

The drain of M1 is being set by the amplifier loop (M3, (M4), M2).
That will set it to Vgs,M3 = Vt + Vsat,M3.

M1 cannot do much to set its own Vds as it is in open loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.