Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 60Ah Battery charging using solar energy

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaisou11

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi...

I Want to make a charger circuit which will charge a 60Ah rated battery With 12A charging current rate (Need to charge the battery in 5 hours). I will use Solar panel to charge it up.

I will run 40W led bulb using the battery for 12 hours continuously.

I want to know following things...

1. What type of battery chemistry is suitable for it? Lead Acid or Lithium Ion?
2. What is(are) the best topology(ies) to charge the battery?
3. Is there any Charge controller Ic available? Any suggestion(s)? Previously, in one of my project, I used LT3652 charge controller IC which was excellent, I want to know if there are any controller is(are) available to charge the huge battery efficiently using MPPT.

Thanks and regards.

Hi,

I will run 40W led bulb using the battery for 12 hours continuously.
Then you need 40W x 12h = 480Wh of usable energy.

1) interesting: You know you want to use a 60Ah battery, but don´t know which chemistry and which voltage.

2) depends on chemsitry, cost, effort and time useag of LED and solar energy

3) charging controlelr ICs: Therer are more than enough available. Did you do a search? At distributors, at manufacturers?
You already used LT3652, then you already know LinearTechnology (now Analog Devices). Why don´t you use the interactive selection guide?

My personal opinion: MPPT isn´t a big benefit for charging batteries.

Klaus

LiFePO4 is the only choice for reasonably fast re-charge - and good cycle life at the DoD (depth of discharge) you wish to go to. Depending on the size of your PV panels - PPT ( peak power tracking) gives you amps into your battery you would not otherwise have...

Hi...
Klaust

My preferable choice is lithium ion 11.1V battery...

Could you explain why MPPT is not a big benefit for charging batteries?

Also, I found LT8490, which is rated for 10A, did not get 12A rated parts in Liner Technology site.

Thanks, regards

Hi,

MPPT:
You can use MPPT only in the morning, when the expected charging power is higher than the solar power.
Usually the solar cell power rating is higher than V_Battery_max * I_charge_max / charger_efficiency

Then MPPT is a benefit in the morning, but you waste (not use) energy at the rest of the day. Mind: You only have limited capacity to store energy....something more than 480Wh.

This is different when you push energy into the grid. You don´t need to waste solar power when the battery is full because you can use all the solar energy to gain money.

I recommend to do some Excel simulations with different P_max of solar cell, different solar cell angles, different seasons.. to find out how much you gain from the MPPT.
The less overhead you have in the solar cell power the more benefit you gain from MPPT, but you risk to go into battery power down.

Also, I found LT8490, which is rated for 10A, did not get 12A rated parts in Liner Technology site.
When I use the selection guide, then there are a lot of LiIon charger IC with >12A charging current.
(underlined are my search parameters)
--> What are your search parameters?

Klaus

The biggest mistake people make is not having enough solar panel, and not having enough storage - also consider different types of LED bulb - and running them off an efficient buck converter at reduced volts/current - this will give you real benefits in longer battery life, also if you are going to run the batteries near flat - consider an UVLO disconnect at the low bat voltage to prevent over discharge of the batts... good luck.

Hi...

Thanks KlausST ... I got your point...

I am searching in Power Manegment>Energy Harvesting section in Analog Devices product search table...

There are no parameters of Ampere... May be I couldn't search properly in Analog devices site. There are Vin, Vmax, Energy source,comments and topology parameters... I selected the energy source 'solar' and rest of the parameters are in default state.

Btw, I found lots of product in Texas Instruments product selection guide which are 20A rated.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks...Easy peasy :)

Hi,

I agree with Easy peasy.

Analog.com / Products / Power management / Battery Management / Switching battery chargers.

Klaus

Hi...
Thanks to Klaus and Easy peasy...

I got plenty of options in higher ampere solar charger categories...

Cheers \m/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back