Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

digital pot rather than analog pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownt

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I would like to use a digital pot in place of the analog pot in this circuit. However, it does not work properly. There are some very tiny sound fluctuations but that is all. I wonder what needs to be done, or why its not working as expected, or how I can work out what the problem is.

thanks

Attachments

• wah.png
    wah.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 59

Hi,

we can´t see the digital pot in your circuit.

--> show your exact circuit with all electrical connections - especially of the EPOT.

Klaus

Not sure what you mean with "tiny sound fluctuations"? An effectively useless description.

You missed however to tell the used digipot type and how it's connected in the circuit.

Just in case, notice that the analog potentiometer is exposed to an AC voltage, to avoid distortions, a digipot in this place would need a dual power supply. Or be connected slightly different, with DC bias and capacitor at the pot ground node.

Or does "fluctuations" refer to crosstalk of the digital control signal? This can easily happen.

Not sure what you mean with "tiny sound fluctuations"? An effectively useless description.

You missed however to tell the used digipot type and how it's connected in the circuit.

Just in case, notice that the analog potentiometer is exposed to an AC voltage, to avoid distortions, a digipot in this place would need a dual power supply. Or be connected slightly different, with DC bias and capacitor at the pot ground node.

Or does "fluctuations" refer to crosstalk of the digital control signal? This can easily happen.

Tiny fluctuations refers to tiny bandwidth filter changes, just as you would expect with a wah wah circuit, but very tiny. The digital pot replaces the 100k analog pot in the circuit.

The digital pot simply has a two potentiometer ends and a wiper.

can you explain how it would be connected differently. thanks

Hi,

The digital pot simply has a two potentiometer ends and a wiper.
This means your digital pot has no power supply connections and no control pins. --> I´ve never seen such a thing.

Klaus

the micro and dig pot are running on 5 volts. a separate supply, but with the same ground as the analog circuit.

Attachments

• dig wah.png
    dig wah.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 64

Your problem is that the audio signal fed to the digipot is not biased at Vdd/2 to allow the positive and negative excursions that an audio signal has.

Download the datasheet, and look for Figure 2-64.

Connect P0A to a virtual ground node, a sufficient large capacitor to ground (e.g. 1 µF) and a voltage divider generating Vdd/2.

It's not obvious to me, if clipping of AC voltage can produce "tiny bandwidth filter changes", but may be it does. You'll know after testing a correct digipot bias.

thanks. what is a "virtual ground node". I have googled it, but don't understand what is required. How is that done?

A virtual ground circuit is completely described in the previous post.

Status
Not open for further replies.