Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

too hot if irrush current without NTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

noisepic

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In my circuit using just NTC (norelay) to limit irrush current into a toroid transformer, the issue is NTC is too hot 150 degree. Is it OK for long term use? Or I must use a by pass relay.

Hi,

An NTC needs to become hot to properly work as inrush current limiter.
Whether 150°C is OK or not you should find in it´s datasheet.

For my taste: I don´t like to have a part in my developed devices that gets that hot at normal condition.

Klaus

Ideally - have the inrush NTC on long leads so that the solder joints do not degrade over time from over temp - this is quite a common fault on many psu's ...

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Also, if you give up on the NTC...(as you note, it doesnt really work when hot)...then you may not want to use a relay to switch out a inrush resistor...instead, you can use a cheap 1W DCDC module, and get it to switch back to back IGBTs which short out the inrush resistor....this saves having to use relays which have a limited lifetime....

use back to back igbt's if you have the inrush res in the AC part...but just use single fet if its post rectifier bridge

Once you have a bypass relay I like a PTC. Epcos makes a line that’s joule rated for inrush applications.

The advantage is that’s its self protecting and fail safe in case the relay fails or the unit is repeatedly turned on/off.

the issue is NTC is too hot 150 degree...

150C is not really "too hot"- yes it is too hot to touch but so are many power devices. Most power devices have a junction temp (max) rating >150 and a max case temp of 150C or so. By the way, NTC devices are more robust in their design compared to many power transistors and they do take lots of abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.